Diagnosis
10/2003
Country
CA
State
On
City
NW of Toronto
I was having trouble holding forks and spoons due to not being able to keep wrist straight. OT made me a new brace that helps and there are some new pictures showing atrophy and finger curling as well.
AL.

Attachments

• tmpphp8cJlPt.jpg
    tmpphp8cJlPt.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 3,076
  • tmpphplO24ic.jpg
    tmpphplO24ic.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 5,599
  • tmpphpRjAMxQ.jpg
    tmpphpRjAMxQ.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 3,161
  • tmpphpyrFXZK.jpg
    tmpphpyrFXZK.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 12,878
Last edited:
Al,
As always you are the greatest! Showing pictures of your atrophy, I think it is wonderful, because nowhere can you find pictures of atrophy. I also use braces similar to the ones you are showing in your pictures. When I was in rehab O.T. suggested that I use hand braces along with special spoons, and forks to make it easier for me to eat. They actually made a special brace to hold a hair brush so could brush my daughters Maggie's hair again.

God
Bless,
Ellisa

hi everyboby I was wondering if anyone is having any problems with rapid heartbeats and palpitations The other nigh I woke up with a heart rate of 187 and papitation for the last 2 months i wore a 24 hour holter and it showed the problem Now I have to go for a echo and stress test I hope this isnt part of als I heard it doesnt effect the heart Thanks for listening but if things arent bad enough ,now this Pat

I like your braces, My husband has special spoons and forks our trouble now is that it is hard for him to reach his mouth the distance from his mouth and the plate is to far. I ordered those fancy tv trays I think they are called table mates and I hope I can set it high enough so that the distance is shorter. Wish us luck

Thanks for the pictures Al

heart

patricia sciarrino said:
hi everyboby I was wondering if anyone is having any problems with rapid heartbeats and palpitations The other nigh I woke up with a heart rate of 187 and papitation for the last 2 months i wore a 24 hour holter and it showed the problem Now I have to go for a echo and stress test I hope this isnt part of als I heard it doesnt effect the heart Thanks for listening but if things arent bad enough ,now this Pat
I used to have a high heart rate 170 to 180 at times [ lasted 2 hrs. sometimes] SVT. What is your condition? SVT is an arythemia problem. Wasn't a part of als I don't think, but I did have the problem at the same time. Barry

hands

Al, How's your typing now or are you using those special glasses you mentioned back in the fall now to type? Is it warming up at all up your way yet? Still surprisingly cool down here in N.M. Barry

[What did the doctors say it was and are you are on medications Pat QUOTE=BWk]I used to have a high heart rate 170 to 180 at times [ lasted 2 hrs. sometimes] SVT. What is your condition? SVT is an arythemia problem. Wasn't a part of als I don't think, but I did have the problem at the same time. Barry[/QUOTE]

Barrry I know its not the als they say its stress but why is everything stress What are you on for the heart. pat

Great pictures AL. I like the brace. Looks more stable than the tableware with loops attached that I've seen on some websites. Been thinking of getting some utensils with built-up handles, myself. That's what they give my Mom and when I help feed her my hands cramp less. Also I heard that dishes with rims on the sides make it easier to scoop food. Oh and I might get one of those rubber mats they put under plates to keep the plate stable while eating with one hand.

By the way, I assume most anything that we need can be borrowed from our local ALS chapter but for those us without a DX, in my State we have another option. We have a local not for profit that sells used adaptive equipment at a low cost. I'll be heading out there one day to see if they have mats and bowls and such...Cindy

I had spoons and forks with the fat handles but can't get my fingers around them now. That's why I needed the brace to hold my wrist straight and be able to hold a regular utensil that my brother bent for me.
My wife's heart beat went up over 160 and it was an overactive thyroid. I'd get the test for that.
I just installed a new program called WiVik and it is an onscreen keyboard that uses your mouse to type with. Still playing with it. I'll let you know how it works.
AL>

heart

Pat, Mine was caused by an extra circuit in the heart and when it kicked in I would have a high heart rate, an ablation procedure took care of it in my case. Toprol I took before the procedure, but on no meds. now. Thyroid problems, like Al said, can cause high heart rates also. Barry

Hand Braces

Thanks Al For Posting Hand Pictures. Are Curled Fingers Part Of Als Atropy And If So, Will Physical Therapy Help? I Fell In Sept. And My Left Hand Swoll Up. I Started P.t. In November, And My Fingers Are Still Curled. I Don't Know If All The Excersizes And Weekly P.t. Will Do Any Good. No Doctors 0r Pt Have Connected It With My Als. I Would Appreciate Your Ideas. Thanks. Katherine

Hi Katherine. Welcome to the forum. As the muscles in the hands atrophy the tendons and ligaments contract as there is no muscle to hold them straight. If you do a search for 'hand atrophy pictures" there is a picture of a brace the OT made for me to help keep my fingers straight. I wore them for quite a while but recently my hands have been feeling claustrophobic in them ( I know that sounds weird but that't the only way I know how to describe the feeling) Quite often when I sit I'll put pressure on the back of my fingers and hand trying to force them back straight. I think that helps. Hope this info helps.
AL.

Hand Brace

Thanks Al. I Have A Claustrophic Hand Brace Too. I Also Don't Wear As Often As I Should For The Same Reason. I Am Not Sure If Weekly Physical Therapy Is Worth It. I Don't Really Really See Improvement. I Always Enjoy Your Posts. Katherine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back