Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
nevada
City
Las vegas
Hey there,

My name is Jordan, I'm an 18 year old and have been browsing these forums for a few months. I certainly do feel for those of you that have been dealing with this disease and I do understand that some remarks I may make are out of ignorance and lack of knowledge. However, I still have the same phobia.

So, I am a hypochondriac and I know it. There have been several instances in my life where I think I have horrible diseases that are so even more rare than ALS itself. Although I know that I am a hypochondriac I still cannot shake this fear of ALS. I have gotten much better after I had spent an extreme number of days reading up on ALS and scaring myself half to death.

My basic concern right now is that I am slurring my words. It seems to be more constant now but when I ask someone about it I usually get a "no, I haven't' noticed" or something along those lines. I swear my words are jumbled together or something. I can still move my tongue around my mouth and push food around. Swallowing is fine although i'm sure after some time i'll notice something abnormal like I always do.

I'm beginning to wonder if I had never known what this disease was then I wouldn't have given myself these issues. I originally feared limb onset when I had a pinched nerve in my back causing me to walk funny. After that I learned about Bulgar and have not shaken the idea.

Please let me know if i'm being ignorant and I will try to change my thinking. Any responses are appreciated. Thank you for your time

Jordan

Aside from the rarity of non genetic ALS at 18 ( extreme) and the fact that bulbar onset is more common in older PALS than younger making it extremely extremely unlikely even if you had definite symptoms you said the magic words.

Others are not noticing. Honestly it sounds as if you already knew the answer- not ALS

My advice: stop reading about ALS. Address your admitted hyperchondria. If you have had multiple episodes already this is not going to change without serious work and will ruin your life and poison your relationships and career. Talk to your doctor. What usually works best is cognitive behavioral therapy ( CBT) it won't be easy but it will be worth it. Good luck

Thank you very much for your insight. Definitely appreciated.

Hate to revive this post but I have another concern. My neck has become quite weak feeling. Making my head feel almost heavy. Also I can't seem to get a whole deep breath in. Probably anxiety. But unfortunately one can't tell themselves this and make a difference. I appreciate any help.

With this illness you don't get weak feelings, things just stop working. The breathing issues are very likely anxiety if you are worrying about weak feelings. Time to work on the health anxiety and hypochondria. Being on here will make things worse for you.
Wendy x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back