Mpg7

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
AU
Hi all.
Just wanted to ask a few general questions. I've read the "read before posting" thread extensively and had a few questions.
Appreciate that twitching alone is by no means an indication of any form of als. To briefly summarise a bit of what I've been experiencing over the last 18 months...
Commenced feeling twitching in Feb 2022. This remains relatively constant but non specific. Ive had twitching everywhere from my shoulder blade to my lips and eyelid as well as my lats and gluts. Most common places though seem to be my calves and forearms. I've pretty much had twitching everywhere at some point except my tongue.
I don't have any clinical weakness although I have noticed my finer motor skills like hand writing and general balance have subjectively worsened. Although acknowledge this could and is most likely is all in my head as I'm hypervigilent at the moment. My thumbs when using my phone or cutlery for example seem to have a slight tremor/shake which is making things a little more difficult.
From a gross strength perspective I seem to be ok although I have noticed at the gym for example that whilst I can still push the same weight as I always have, I either fatigue quicker and can't do as many reps as well as seem to have significant shaking/trembling within muscle groups as I do an exercise. For eg my left quad during a leg extension shakes significantly whereas my right doesn't.
Taking all of the above into account I really have only a few generalised questions. And that's not whether people think this could be als as I completely appreciate no one here is a doctor compounded by the fact that in all likelihood this is absolutely not als.
My questions are as follows:
  1. Given my perceived symptoms commenced around Feb 2022, if this were als related, would I have expected my symptoms to have deteriorated more significantly than what I've described above? Would I have expected to have had some form of clinical and objective weakness by now?
  2. I had an emg study conducted in November 2022. This was clean. Taking this into account, despite the symptoms I'm describing above, I'm assuming that if I did have als and I was feeling symptoms some 9 months prior to that, the likelihood of that emg being clean would have been extremely low and unlikely and it would've detected some irregularity at that point in time.
Ultimately I'm trying to determine if I should be going back to my treaters for review. The last thing I want to do is clog up and already back logged medical system and take up an appointment from someone much more in need than me.
Any guidance/support/advice would be greatly appreciated.

1 yes
2 correct

That said if you truly think there is something wrong see your gp. Perhaps you are anemic or one of the many other treatable causes of fatigue. In the meantime work on diet sleep hydration and stress management. Being hypervigilant alone could make you fatigued

Thank you so much for your prompt reply. It is greatly appreciated! I've recently given up caffeine and commenced meditating and cold plunging. So really trying to focus on the sort of lifestyle factors you've suggested. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back