Diagnosis
08/2014
Country
US
State
OH
City
XXXXXXXX
I was wondering if anyone had experience with the Expiratory Muscle Strength Trainer (EMST)? My speech pathologist has identified that in addition to my slurred speech that I am also having difficulty with breath support. EMST is intended to help strengthen expiratory muscles and has been used with Parkinson's patients and is evidently now staring to be used with ALS patients.

I was a little concerned because it seemed to me that if there is already weakness that this may make the muscles weaker in people with ALS and PLS…?

My diagnosis is PLS.

Thanks,

Jen

Researcher Brittany Golden at (813) 974-9413 might know. She's conducting a study now.

Personally, it doesn't make sense to me to exercise a muscle that is going to lose it's connection to the brain. But I'm not a doctor. Ask that of the researchers and let us know what you find out.

Also contact the Dysphagia Cafe website.

I was wondering if anyone had experience with the Expiratory Muscle Strength Trainer (EMST)? My speech pathologist has identified that in addition to my slurred speech that I am also having difficulty with breath support. EMST is intended to help strengthen expiratory muscles and has been used with Parkinson's patients and is evidently now staring to be used with ALS patients.

I was a little concerned because it seemed to me that if there is already weakness that this may make the muscles weaker in people with ALS and PLS…?

My diagnosis is PLS.

Thanks,

Jen

In my limited research, I have read that muscle building is counterproductive in ALS. Recommended exercises are those that work with range of motion and flexibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back