Reason
Lost a loved one
Country
UK
State
Norwich
City
Newcastle
Hiya, new here. I'm only 22 and petrified that I have ALS. So I have a few questions:

-does weakness ALWAYS come before atrophy?
- does weakness ALWAYS come before muscle twitching?
-would the muscle twitching be persistent and in one place?

I'm probably being irrational but have always wanted to know these questions.

Thanks, Nelly

Hiya, there is a post at the top of this forum section titled READ BEFORE POSTING. I guess you missed it.

Give it a go. It's our official position, so please read it carefully, maybe twice.

I'm sure you won't have ALS as it sounds like you have no weakness. All the best, work with a doctor.

I have no weakness

my left hand is thinner than right - is the this atrophy?

I have muscle twitches which are not persistent and occur all over ( not all the time )

Still go to the gym every night.

I have been worrying for 5 weeks now. Would I not be able to hit the gym and play footy by now if I did have it?

So scared that I have it.

But what points to it ??????

Treehugger, listen to yourself:
"I know that ALS is quite rare. And I know that it is practically unheard of in a 22-year-old. And I know that it's about weakness. But could I be the rarest of snowflakes that has ALS because my left hand is thinner than my right?"

Treehugger, you don't have ALS or anything like it. If you are still concerned, see your doctor.

Thankyou for the reassurance.

Is it true that the first symptom of ALS is always weakness??

And without it you can't have als

So scared that I have it.
But what points to it ??????

Well, you don't.

It's about weakness. Muscles that are limp and won't move. They don't feel weak or feel strange or anything. Just, for no apparent reason, your foot or you finger muscles just don't respond anymore.

So is that the first symptom becaus I certainly don't have any weakness.

But what about the twitches,?????

I notice them when I'm relaxed but I get the in my legs, my lips, my arms. But I can stop them by moving the muscle or pushing on the muscle.

Y
Thankyou for the reassurance.
Is it true that the first symptom of ALS is always weakness??
And without it you can't have als

Many people might notice a different symptom first, second and third.
But the only thing that matters is that muscles have become paralyzed.
Even then, there are many, more common diseases that must be tested for and ruled out.

You are anxious and stressed. You are worried about a disease you clearly have no reason to be worried about. I recommend you see a GP medical doctor and let them begin a health investigation.

One thing to note: It's after 4:30 in the morning here. There are plenty of people who actually do have this disease. We'd like to spend our time dealing with their needs. So don't be offended if I seem to be shoving you out of the room. We really don't have the resources to carry on extended conversations with all the worried and interested visitors.

So is that the first symptom becaus I certainly don't have any weakness.

But what about the twitches,?????

I notice them when I'm relaxed but I get the in my legs, my lips, my arms. But I can stop them by moving the muscle or pushing on the muscle.

You didn't read the sticky note at the top of this subforum.

Twitches mean nothing. They are so common to many conditions, that they are not really diagnostic of ALS.

Of course, we can't diagnose you over the Internet. We are not doctors, but we know ALS really well, and you don't have anything to worry about.

Wow Mike you were so kind, when this person could have simply read the sticky titled READ BEFORE POSTING.

Treehugger please go talk to mum and/or dad, or some adult family member and get some help to get to a doctor who can examine you and deal with your anxiety. You can be helped with this. All the best.

Why would I have to be examined.

I'm already doing CBT with a counseller

My anxiety is better.

I just need to know I don't have als as it terrified me.

I have no weakness though!!!!!!!

And do my twitches mean I have a condition. :(

I'm very very happy at the minute

I hues need to get ALS out of my head.

I'm loving life at the minute :)

I don't mean to be disrespectful because a lot of you have this illness and I am being rediculous but please answer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back