10/2006
Country
US
State
Michigan
City
Flint
Hi,

Anyone getting IVIG get it through a port. It is probably time for me to get one as my veins collapse ofter with the IV. So any pros or cons. It seems simple and logical but I am a little aprehensive so any feedback pro or con would be appreciated. It really sounds yucky, but as we know there are much worse things than that. I have no complaint just would like some prior knowledge. How about insurance? Any hassles there. Oh opps. :-o Insurance = hassles but also a blessing. Best Wishes, Peg

Peg my husband is slated to get a port soon. He had an appt. with a vascular surgeon to discuss it last month. His veins have gotten very bad and they have to poke him 3 times generally to get a vein. He chatted it up with another IVIG patient and got advice to have it done at our biggest hospital who has a special unit that puts them in. She had failures in the past using general surgeons i.e. the placement was not perfect. I gather correct placement is really important --more so for comfort as to how the line is situated so you are comfortable raising your arms and sleeping. So he sees his GP next week to get the referral to the special unit. Our insurance covers it here in Canada. It seems most of the people getting IVIG long term at the hospital day care where hubby goes have them and really like them.
Laurel

Dear Laural,

Thank you so much. I got the call today to talk about the apointment to put it in. I am scared as I said, but your input is very much appreciated. I will get it at the University of Michigan Hospital, and I trust they know what they are doing but it feels like such a big step. Thanks so much. Your information helps me a lot. Peg

Peg, most long term patients having IVIG end up having a port. It does have a risk of getting infected, but are generally well tolerated. Make sure the nurses, do a good job of cleaning the site.

Thanks Alyoop,

I am a little calmer, but I need the advice and input. Thanks so much. Anything I should ask the neurologist? I think I will wait until I see to her on Nov 11. Thanks, Peg

I had a port before. It was for something else. I since have had it removed, in the office. That was simple. The port was pretty easy, simple outpatient procedure, and not much worry once I had it.. Pretty simple, and sure needed when the veins are getting used heavily.. Will be a piece of cake once said and done. I think insurance is pretty easy with ports. Good luck.

Thanks Hoping for a cure. That is very helpful. Peg

Peg and all others. Hubby had his port put in this past Monday at the vascular surgery/cardiac cath unit at our biggest hospital. He had it put in at about 1 PM and was discharged by 2:30. His model was called Power Port which I gather is one of the newer ones. It is designed with some sort of flapper valve so blood can't back flow--thus they don't need to be flushed with heparin. Normal saline can be used to flush it. A vascular surgeon did the procedure and the line goes into the jugular vein on the right side next to the heart. Two incisions--one that is about one inch long just above the clavicle and steri strips were placed there. And then a 3 inch incision lower down on the chest that is where the entry point is for giving the IVIG has dissolvable stitches. So everything is under the skin when it heals. He has had no pain! Has a little itching, a wee bit of bruising. Knock on wood, no signs of inflammation or anything being wrong thus far. He has taken a little regular Tylenol before bed. He is a stomach sleeper with a CPAP on and no complaints about discomfort at all. So far so good. They will be able to give him his IVIG on Monday coming up through the port.
Laurel

Good news Laurel! So glad all went well. Your detailed description really hit the mark. I think it will really help alleviate any lingering doubts.

Thank you Laurel,

I had my port put in last Tues Nov 1. I had IVIG this past Tues the 8th and saw my neuro today. All is well and I am getting used to it. Thanks so much. My best to you and your husband. Peg

Wow Peg that was quick i.e. getting the port in. I'm glad all is going well. Any tips for hubby? I think he is a little apprehensive about them using the port when it is still a bit raw looking.
Laurel

Hi Laurel,

I was TERRIFIED and almost not exagerating that. The hospital recommended some numbing cream. But no prescription. My nurse said it was too expensive anyway and I would not need it, but she brought laticaine (sp?) she said it's like what the dentist used to numb for the needle. I don't know if it was an over the counter med. Anyway the prick was less than the regular IV. So that was fine. The site is still somewhat bruised and swollen so I don't like anything touching but the treatment was fine and no problem walking around or using the restroom or anything. So that was great.

My neuro gave me a script for a numbing cream and I may or may not fill it, depending on the cost. I won't need it for 2 weeks. I got it in faster than I wanted or felt ready but then I never thought I would "be ready" for it and now is before the holidays, new insurance rates, etc and no need to wear a bathing suit so it seemed a perfect time of the year and I would need it anyway. Also they just got me in really fast. Hope this helps. Best Wishes, Peg

Thanks Peg. I think the numbing cream is called Emla or something like that. Maybe I will buy some for my hubby as he isn't really a high pain tolerance fellow normally. I must say his wounds are almost totally healed now and it was just done on Monday. He has a wee bit of bruising. I'll let you know how the IVIG goes on Monday.
Laurel

Good. It sounds like he is doing well. Yes that is the name of the cream. Please let me know how he does when he gets IVIG. Best Wishes, Peg

Hubby finished his two days of IVIG with his new port today. All went very well. The nurses used a little numbing cream prior to putting in the needle, and send a wee tube home with him and a couple of bandages. Told him to put the cream on the site an hour before his treatment, and cover it with a bandage. They will give him more numbing cream when he runs out. He said he didn't feel the needle going in at all today and there were no complications. His biggest concern was the difference in sterile technique between yesterday's nurse, and today's nurse. Yesterday's nurse was totally efficient--wiped down the bedside tables before setting up, used good handwashing, maintained sterile technique throughout. Today's nurse was a little slapdash i.e. didn't wipe down surfaces before starting, wore her rings while putting on sterile gloves and the gloves promptly ripped and she carried on without changing to new gloves. Interestingly later the "good nurse" who was in a different area came over and told him a little story about her son having a port, and how she has briefed him about him having responsibility to speak up when a nurse isn't following sterile technique. Hubby figures she saw the ripped gloved caper and was giving him a heads up about not just laying there like a lump and not advocating for himself. I think he got the message. He says he feels really awkward about how to say something without offending anyone. I told him to try to keep it light and just try to joke a little and say something like, "I'm kind of paranoid about having this thing in my chest and I'm really scared of getting an infection. Could you humor me and change those gloves?" He said he will try to stand up for himself next time.
Laurel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back