Reason
PALS
Country
US
State
Ohio
City
Columbus
On top of everything else that we are dealing with... my parents' condo association denied their request to put in an elevator. So... they're moving. And the hits just keep on coming!

Anybody else had to move to accommodate their PALS?

I'm so pissed off at ALS and I'm sooooo over the sacrifices that have to be made by PALS and CALS for it.
:-x

We had to move in December of 2007 from a raised ranch to something where most of the living quarters were on one floor. Worst housing market ever! Took 15 months to sell the old house.

Jenn.....I am so sorry to hear that the condo association denied the elevator request..it just makes me filled with so much anger. People just do not understand the physical, mental, emotional, and financial stress this disease causes. Is there any appeal process? Stu..is an expert at fighting these things. Thinking of you!

Maybe this story needs to make the local news. And I agree, Stu might be of help.

Yes, we had to move from a two story home with upstairs bedrooms and baths to a one story place. We just sold the house last week after being on the market for well over a year. Thank God we could, literally.

My parents have 2 homes. Fortunately in the first home they already have an elevator. But in their 2nd home in Arizona there is a ton of cement steps to get to their condo. Rosella, (thelma313) gave me some great info on an attachment you can put onto a wheelchair so it will climb stairs. It is slow, but it works. If anyone needs the info, I have the email address.
~Hugs, Kari

Just said to Linda five minutes agi that we have to spend so much time and energy fighting so many other obstacles we hardly have the time to cherish! the illness.
So sorry about this.
love

I think the Condo Assoc is in violation of the disablities laws.
Fair Housing Act

The Fair Housing Act, as amended in 1988, prohibits housing discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, disability, familial status, and national origin. Its coverage includes private housing, housing that receives Federal financial assistance, and State and local government housing. It is unlawful to discriminate in any aspect of selling or renting housing or to deny a dwelling to a buyer or renter because of the disability of that individual, an individual associated with the buyer or renter, or an individual who intends to live in the residence. Other covered activities include, for example, financing, zoning practices, new construction design, and advertising.

The Fair Housing Act requires owners of housing facilities to make reasonable exceptions in their policies and operations to afford people with disabilities equal housing opportunities. For example, a landlord with a "no pets" policy may be required to grant an exception to this rule and allow an individual who is blind to keep a guide dog in the residence. The Fair Housing Act also requires landlords to allow tenants with disabilities to make reasonable access-related modifications to their private living space, as well as to common use spaces. (The landlord is not required to pay for the changes.) The Act further requires that new multifamily housing with four or more units be designed and built to allow access for persons with disabilities. This includes accessible common use areas, doors that are wide enough for wheelchairs, kitchens and bathrooms that allow a person using a wheelchair to maneuver, and other adaptable features within the units.

Complaints of Fair Housing Act violations may be filed with the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. For more information or to file a complaint, contact:

Office of Program Compliance and Disability Rights
Office of Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity
U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
451 7th Street, S.W. , Room 5242
Washington, D.C. 20410

Locating New Page....

(800) 669-9777 (voice)
(800) 927-9275 (TTY)

For questions about the accessibility provisions of the Fair Housing Act, contact Fair Housing FIRST at:

We lived in a bilevel and had to move too. It took almost 21 months to sell our home. Actually we had to move twice. First into a temporary rental for 10 weeks until we were able to find a house that would work for us. Stress seems to accelerate progression, and moving is stressful that's for sure. I agree with the others. Maybe appeal the association, or give Stu a call.

You know, it seems like denying an elevator is a violation of the Americans with Disabilites Act?

My parents are fortunate enough to have paid their house off earlier this year and have the means to buy a new house without selling their current condo... especially with the grant made available by the VA.

The ADA only applies to commercial property; however, since the denial... I've been doing my own digging on the Federal Fair Housing Act of 1988 as mentioned by "serenade." I talked it over with Mom and decided that she's going to focus her energy on finding a new house and I'm going to focus my energy on bringing a discrimination suit against the complex. I'm 95% sure that they did NOT seek the advice of counsel before denying the request AND we have 2 years to file. Planning to get started with an attorney next week.

Thanks for your help!
Jenn

Good for you Jenn! I thought that was pretty sketchy that they denied it, when it was their primary residence! Let us know what the attorney says.
~Hugs, Kari

I had to move from my two storey house to a single story two years after ALS struck. I looked at all kinds of possible renovations including an elevator and ramps in order to stay in my home but in the end decided to move. In hindsight, I'm very glad I did. A single storey is just easier in so many respects.

Like we are saying all over the place - we can never ever have the time and peace to devote ourselves to LIVING, to fighting or adjusting to the damned disease. Always, always these other problems that drain the spirit out of you

Good luck Jenn! I'm chuckling over something my neurologist told me when I was first diagnosed. He asked about our house and I told him it was a two story colonial. Direct quote from doc: "Well if the market wasn't so sh*tty I would tell you to sell your house and buy a rambler." Way to tell it like it is! (We ended up converting dining room to bedroom.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back