- Jul 23, 2010
- Lost a loved one
Hi there- really struggling to ask this question as I prefer not to know but it will influence my decision to have children. My mom passed last away last August from ALS with FTD. My family history on her side is not great as they werent a close family, but neither of my grandparents had it and my uncle (her older brother) doesn't recall anyone having symptoms that could have been ALS. That being said I have chosen to believe it was sporadic (90% chance). My question is, because she had the FTD as well does that increase the chance of familial (normally 10% of all cases)? I know there is a DNA test to confirm but I am not ready for definitive answers and might not ever want to know that level. From familial cases I understand it is a 50% chance of contracting the disease. Are all my facts and figures correct? Thanks so much for the help!