Diagnosis
10/2015
Country
US
State
OK
City
Cleveland
My PALS speech is getting worse by the day. Right now he still has good use of his hands.

What options are out there to help him communicate while he can use his hands?

Also, what are the options for when he can't use his hands?

I'm curious if I should get one to use while he has hand use and get a different one when he cannot?

He uses his smartphone probably 20 hours a day right now, so I am praying his hand use continues so he can at least communicate that way.

Thanks in advance for the info!

Re: Speech devices

I lost my speech pretty quick. I use my iPad with an App called Verbally Premium. It has pretty good volume and about 6 different voices to choose from. It stores multiple phrases so he won't have to type the whole phrase over and over when his hands get weak. There are also multiple categories he can create to put stored phrases in; medical, greetings, comfort needs, food and drink, etc. For example, in the comfort needs category he could store phrases like "I'm cold, I'm hot, I'm tired, my legs are cramping, etc. That way, once he has created the stored phrases, he only has to touch one button and it will speak the whole phrase.

Getting a Speech Generating Device that Medicare will cover is not easy. I've been trying to get a Tobii/Dynavox since last July because that device can control all electronic devices with an infrared light and answer your phone. My left hand is useless and my right hand is down to 20%. However, because I can use my right index finger to type, they will not approve me for the device.

Hope this helps some.

Vince

Hey Vince, just checked that app out. $ 100 bucks is it worth it? Why not just not use that one finger when they check ya. Also have ya checked out the Steve Gleason stuff. I met a guy @ DC advococy that got the eye gaze device from the glee son foundation. Something to look in to. Good luck! Chally

Here is what I am using, cuz I still have use of my hands. It's not cheap, my ins would not cover it..................some ins will cover these.

I kinda like it cuz I can't speak fer sh!t. It can be somewhat fun in mixed company, I will blast them with profanity, and blame the device. I bought the full size key board and the cell phone size, which is convenient for travel and field trips to the pharmacy.

Check it out, it is very easy to use and might solve your PALS dilemma.
Leaders in Assistive Technology Keyboards and AAC Speech Generating Devices for Stroke, ALS and disability.

SW, what OS is the phone on, iOS, Android...? If he's on iOS, you can mount the phone on his chair or use a floor stand, and let him try using his head as a switch, for example. There are also mouthsticks available that he can try any time, for either OS. The key is positioning the phone to allow him the most leverage/vision. Depending on your setup, a tablet may work better than a phone. And, while he has hand use, a stylus may still be helpful if his hands get tired.

There are also a variety of options available for laptop use, e.g. head mice like the Smart Nav, tongue/chin mice like the Tetramouse, and free headmouse apps to try for both Mac and windows. Before that point, many people extend their "normal" computer use with trackball or touchpad mice and a virtual keyboard (free or paid versions). And we haven't gotten to switches.

Point being, there may be a number of options between now and eye gaze.

Best,
Laurie

Thanks everyone for all the great info!

Laurie, he is on a iOS phone.

Chris had a jelly bean switch (you can search that term in google to see them)

I have an apple tv, so his iPad would be displayed on the tv, it's hooked into the stereo, so Chris could play music through the stereo, be comfortable in his recliner looking directly at the tv screen, and tapping the switch.

The switch will work for as long as you can move something to tap it with - could be head, elbow, shoulder, knee, foot, hand or a finger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back