Diagnosis
08/2022
Country
US
State
VA
City
Ashland
Hi is there anyone out there who takes pain medication for neck and shoulder pain. I’m currently taking some ALS medication and some supplements. I will take a couple Tylenol or Advil when the pain gets rough, but it doesn’t seem to do anything. I can ask my ALS clinic about this, but I thought I would check with the group to see what other people are taking if anything. Thanks.

Maybe this is something a primary could help with.

I've sometimes been told to take the ibuprofen around the clock to see maximum benefit.

About 6 weeks ago, when I had shoulder pain when walking slowly around the block with my old hiking poles, my physical therapist checked my walking and asked me to move the hiking poles more often. That solved the problem in my case.

I would be looking at how well your head is being supported and if you can address that.
Using tilt on a PWC, recline in a chair, regular pillows, neck pillow supports, soft brace, or if needed a head strap can all help keep your head in position better so that you don't strain the muscles so much.

Any heavy pain meds can impact breathing, so the more you can help prevent the better.

Thanks, I do wear is a simple head strap off and on during the day. It’s a simple strap that goes around my neck and from my chin to my chest. This seems to help stop me from looking downward which seems to cause the neck pain. However, when I’m in front of the computer a lot or trying to read the neck starts to hurt regardless. I have a nice good neck pillow for when I’m in the bed, and my neck and shoulders are totally at rest and no pain then. But I don’t want to spend all day in bed. Good advice on how meds may affect breathing. For me my diaphragm has been hit pretty hard, so more drugs may not be good for me for that reason. I try take small walks outside but tend to get winded after a bit. I’ve started doing what I call push ups from the wall., just pushing up and down against the wall while standing. Seems to tone up the muscles a bit. I really can’t do many more exercises. Cheers, Mark

Despite the chin strap are you trying to look down at the computer or down to read. We have one of these desks that adjusts up and down. PALS has his eye gaze on this type of desk and it works quite well for that purpose.
Are you using a chair at the desk that has some type of head support to rest your head?

It is definitely the looking down that causes the pain...I'll experiment, thanks

You can get a book stand or use ebooks to avoid looking down and raise the level of your computer or desk with risers or a stand.

Your desk chair might need a makeover or replacement.

If you haven't, I would try a medium density foam cervical collar just to see if it might be an improvement on the strap.

You might also ask your clinic or PCP for a home PT order to evaluate the source(s) of pain and get an exercise regimen/adaptations underway that can help.

a soft neck brace and repositioning of your equipment so you don't look down might really help. Small adjustments can make a big difference.

I wonder if you're straining a bit to see the screen well. If so, you could adjust the size of everything on the screen in Ease of Access. Also, is your screen lower than your eyes? I keep my monitor on top of my computer box (which lies sideways, minimizing the height) and this puts the screen at the right height for me. For a laptop, it can be helpful to raise its height with a box or a big book.

Do you use non-invasive ventilation? If not, I wonder if this would help. Sometimes when we strain to breathe, we get into contortions that we don't realize.

Thanks, great advice all. I may try raising my laptop up some....I currently look down at it at a slight angle,..this may be a large part of the problem. I have a trilogy with mouthpiece at my computer desk...and take small puffs now and then when at the desk...I don't think contortions are an issue, unless I don't station the mouthpiece properly. Thanks.

Please do let us know if this helps. When you look at ergonomic workstation setups the angles are really important, so that slight raise could make a lot of difference. If it only makes some difference, you are on the right track and might need another adjustment to an angle.

I've had chronic neck pain long before ALS. I take Valium to relax the muscles. My ALS doctor knows it and agrees with my taking it. For breakthrough pain, I take Oxy.

CBD oil and some topical Ketamine help with localized pain. My ALS doctor had a compounding pharmacist put together some topical med that helps a little with pain.

I can't tolerate NSAI meds like Advil. The kill my stomach. I do think Theracurmin helps with inflammation and I take it twice a day on a full stomach but the Valium is a game changer for me.

I would just say that before starting meds, finding out if the pain is being caused by something, like the position of a screen you look at all day, is way better than continuing to strain the muscles and masking it by taking meds.
Kim, I'm not saying that is what you are doing - but in this case where the pain wasn't there once, but is now, and there is neck weakness, it is worth trying to prevent.

I also have chronic neck pain, it sucks.

KimT, you wrote: CBD oil and some topical Ketamine help with localized pain.

Might this help with cramps at the back of my calves in certain positions? What about side effects?

My PALS husband has had a lot of neck and shoulder pain. He gets relief from Voltaren gel, which is an NSAID in gel form. He's been amazed at how effective it's been. It's OTC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back