Shoulder/neck pain and swallowing issue. - Bulbar?

nicklasj401

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
SW
Hello.

I have some issue, I wanted to get help with. I have a really bad right side shoulder pain/weakness that goes down to the arm and hand. But my main concern is that I have some weakness in my face, when I talk I get easy tried and have some swallowing issue, I can drink and eat fine no problem, but if I swallowing without any thing, like just saliva, is hard, and feels werid... like I cant get it down and can make me gag "reflex"

If I take muscle relaxer like Klorzoxazon, it becomes MUCH easier to swallow..

Is this a case of Bulbar onset? I mean, if it was Bulbar, muscle relaxer should not do anything to help with it right?
My mouth become is dry really fast aswell.

Best Regards.

Note: I dont have any tognue fasciculations as it is right now.
Most neck pain in right side, but can be left as well.

I don't see any reason to think of ALS, but would see a doctor and discuss imaging/physio for your shoulder.

I don't see any reason to think of ALS, but would see a doctor and discuss imaging/physio for your shoulder.
Hello, and thanks alot for your reply! Im just worry aswell as I feel that my lips under my nose is weak and sometimes has numbess that come and go...

Tomrrow im going for a laser treatment, cause the doctor said I had "miosis" in my right shoulder? I will try and fix that and see how it goes.

Hello Nikki.

To be fair, I dont know. The Doctor just look at my shoulders and told me that my right was elevated and he could see Miosis when he press on it?

I got the first laster treatment yesterday on my shoulder and neck, and I feel it helped, not fully. But idd helped.
My main concern is that both my upper lips fatigue really fast if I talk or move them alot, , is that hear of as a sign of Bulbar?

I think perhaps there is a translation issue? I assume the exchange was in Swedish? No it doesn’t sound like bulbar to me

Myositis (muscle inflammation)? Some forms are immune-mediated, but for limited, benign forms, that are not related to any other condition, high-intensity laser treatment is an emerging method of pain control, though other things are usually tried first.

Last edited:
@Nikki J Hello, yes there was a traslation issue, sorry. it was meant as "Myoses" I think is how it spell in english?

For the last 2/3 days I got really tried when I talked in my Jaw, that went away today and had none issuse, does early ALS symptoms come and go like that?

Back