Ipads: lousy choice for PALS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most of my issues are in my hands--I have a heck of a time typing as I can't push with fingers. I can do really well with my iPad, though. I couldn't do without it now.

Netbook requires more intricate use of fingers than my laptop--which I can't do anymore

for someone like me that is a writer, though, my iPad isn't the greatest because I can't type as fast on a touch screen as I can on the puter. Still, my hands don't get so tired on the iPad.

Of course, with no use of hands at alll--it would be pretty useless. I'm actually considering selling my laptop and getting the newer iPad instead.

Most of my issues are in my hands--I have a heck of a time typing as I can't push with fingers. I can do really well with my iPad, though. I couldn't do without it now.

Netbook requires more intricate use of fingers than my laptop--which I can't do anymore

for someone like me that is a writer, though, my iPad isn't the greatest because I can't type as fast on a touch screen as I can on the puter. Still, my hands don't get so tired on the iPad.

Of course, with no use of hands at alll--it would be pretty useless. I'm actually considering selling my laptop and getting the newer iPad instead.

Ahh...but with your netbook you can use an onscreen keyboard which can be operated by a foot mouse, head mouse/clicker, head movement, eye movement etc.

None of these options are available with the Ipad.

Before buying an Ipad 2 check out the new PC tablets mentioned above which have touchscreen keyboards like the ipad but can also accept a host of alternative input devices.

Yes thank you. Joy has the ipad now, but it has lost is usefulness. I will research what you have provided and see what I can do. J

I was prompted to start this thread after reading LornaDoone's thread about eyetracking and Ipads.

She and her husband had bought an Ipad hoping or assuming that it could be operated by eyetracking.

It can't.

There also appears to be a number of ALS clinics investing a lot of money in purchasing Ipads for their equipment pools.

So there are probably many PALS who are getting the impression that the Ipad is a great assistive device for PALS - and in some cases it may be.

If your hands are strong you may get a lot of use out of an Ipad and it will be a great choice. Also, if money is not an issue, go for it - it is definitely cool and fun.

But if your hands are getting weaker and you can't afford to drop $500-$800 on a device you may only be able to use for a few months - there are better options out there.

If you can't use your hands, forget about it - you won't be able to use the Ipad.

Last edited:
rcharlton, a question about Windows Tablets: do they use the electrical touch system as found on iPhones and iPads, or the older style pressure sensitive touch screens? (I have read the correct terminology for those systems, but it's gone from memory now!). This is an interesting discussion.

That is a good question Roderick. I'll have to look into it.

PC tablets are running Windows 7 which was not specifically designed for a touchscreen interface. The operating systems used in the ipad, android and Blackerry tablets are borrowed from smart phones and were specifically designed for use with touchscreens. Accordingly PC tablets might seem a bit clumsy and awkward compared to other tablets.

I know that a number of PC manufacturers abandoned work on developing Windows tablets due to interface issues and switched to android based tablets.

There is no question that if you want a touchscreen device and you still have a lot of hand function- the ipad is the way to go. Just be aware that as you lose hand function the ipad will become more and more difficult to use until you won't be able to use it at all with no option for alternative input devices available to PC users.

I had a lot of problems using the Ipad until I found a long telescoping stylus.

I have minimal hand function. But I can still extend one finger beyond the others and the iPad is working fine for me for most web surfing and email. I find the typing easier than my computer and the auto correct of spelling helps me a lot.

Google: stylus r us to find the telescoping stylus I mentioned in prior post. site says can be used as mouthstick; I don't know.

I have minimal hand function. But I can still extend one finger beyond the others and the iPad is working fine for me for most web surfing and email. I find the typing easier than my computer and the auto correct of spelling helps me a lot.

Hey Tom

That is how I used my Ipad before I lost most of my dexterity- at which point I would keep tapping the wrong letters and it just became an exercise in frustration. I never actually found the word prediction on the Ipad very helpful as it rarely predicted the word I wanted and often forced upon me a word I didn't want.

There is a great on screen keyboard for PCs called Wivik. It also has word prediction but it is much more sophisticated than the Ipad's, gives you 5 word prediction options and more control. PLUS it comes with a speech synthesizer built in. Wivik is a bit pricey but it comes with a 30 free trial and you might be able to lease it from an equipment pool.

WiViK - on-screen (virtual) keyboard assistive technology

As it is an onscreen keyboard input is made by mouse, trackpad, eyegaze or other alternative input device.

I use Wivik with a $20 wireless mouse operated with my foot. Works great.

Another great input device is an external trackpad. It allows me to type with Wivik while lying down in bed. I only needed one finger to operate it. Now that my hands are useless I can operate the trackpad with my big toe. Great for reading ebooks while lying down on my side in bed - on my convertible tablet PC with the screen tilted down. This would be impossible on an Ipad.

I use an Adesso USB EasyCat 2-BTN Touchpad Black Cirque Glidepoint Technology ( GP160U-121 ).

To prevent my trackpad from sliding around in bed I velcroed it to an old mousepad.

Last edited:
Actually the set up with Wivik, the trackpad and bedtime ebook reading also works great with my $250 netbook screen set in portrait mode

Thanks rcharlton, this is great info.
I am amazed at what you accomplish with your toe!
I cannot picture the big toe, track pad reading in bed setup, but I am totally impressed!
You should do a video. :)

Thanks Tom

I just have my laptop set up on a bed side table - best if it is higher than your head. Change the screen view from landscape to portrait (there is a free program called irotate which simplifies the process). Place the track pad by my feet and I am all set to go. I velcroed the trackpad to a rubber mouse pad to keep it from slipping around.

BTW Kindle, Nook and Kobo all have free PC applications which will sync with your mobile device

When I could still use my hands, I velcroed an ipod touch to a small hexagonal bird feeder and set it next to my pillow for bedtime reading. I used the ereader app which has an auto scroll feature - touch to start and touch to stop - so all you have to do is lie there and the text moves automatically

OK

I actually found a way to operate my ipad using my feet. I placed it between my legs in a stand on a big ottoman. I was able to use Kindle app quite well although I had to make the font very big to be able to see the words. As a result I was constantly turning pages. But it did allow me to read on the veranda which I would not otherwise have been able to do [easily].

Plus my 3 year old daughter can operate it very easily and there are a number of picture book apps which will read to you. So even though it is too difficult for me to read to my daughter anymore I can sit with her while the ipad reads to both of us as my daughter turns the pages.

So I am glad to have it - but unlike my laptop, it is more of a luxury than a necessity.

I guess I'm so happy with mine because of my reading and writing. I've been an obsessive reader for years. When my hands started going, holding a book became difficult--now, it's nearly impossible to comfortably hold a book open. I haven't read a 'real' book in so long, I forget how.

My iPad lets me read, and it lets me continue to write with my limited use of my hands--and at the time, was affordable. I couldn't see spending $300 on a kindle that would only read when the iPad would let me on the internet and have other programs, too.

Now, almost 8 months later, my hands are worse--and the ipad is being used less and less for things like writing because my fingers are hard to use--but I still use it for reading, watching videos, browsing the internet, etc.

I'm going to experiment with a program for it that will make writing easier for me--as my escape has always been writing. i've missed it. It's so hard for me to type now--impossible to write by hand--and using a keyboard is very difficult.

Of course, unlike the rest of you, I'm not diagnosed with ALS-- I just know I can't use my hands--buttons are a thing of the past--two hands will still hold my mug of diet coke--but a simple touch will let me still read and browse!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back