Diagnosis
02/2022
Country
US
State
MS
City
Amory
The ALS association sent me electric hoyer lift but its huge and is giving us trouble maneuvering through our small house. Especially our small hallway. Any advice. Thank you

Is it too long, wide, tall...?

I presume you have the legs closed during movement and open them only for transfers.

The only place you really need to do transfers in a certain location is into bed. Is there enough room there? The rest, you can do wherever there is the most room.

On sites like SpinLife, you can see the dimensions of the various lifts, to see what the alternatives to yours might be.

Yeah we cant get it thru the doors in my bedroom that and bathroom thats what my wife was wanting it for

Fitting through the doors seems more like width? Are you saying the lift can't pivot to be perpendicular to the bed? It is possible to do that transfer like parallel parking, instead of going under the bed, if needed.

i have heard good things about the Molift.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a good brand, but pricey, Mupstate. The issue is dimensions here, not brand, so that's why I suggested measuring the lift that Poet has and comparing with other dimensions available, if it is truly not usable.

The reality is that depending on room size and shape, a floor lift is sometimes not usable in every room. We lived in a zig-zag rented apartment and only did Hoyer transfers in the bigger bedroom.

If money is not an issue, a ceiling lift is another possibility, but they have their own tradeoffs and again are not suitable for every home.

Yeah the base to long to maneuver into the rooms we were going to use it in. The tools you need to deal with this disease are so damn expensive.

try compassionate care. for a loan or donation.

lgelb, how did you manage with that constraint?

A lot of people have a one-room transfer limitation, Mupstate. It's not that big a deal. You transfer into a shower chair or wheelchair and go on from there.

The major difference is that we did staging, like moving the wheelchair in after the transfer into the lift, moving the lift out right after the transfer, then moving the wheelchair, etc. because the room was not big enough to support both at the same time except during the transfer.

Poet's issue is more of a problem, if they can't get the lift into the bedroom at all. It sounds like more of a length problem, but if it can be moved into the bedroom without a person in it (legs closed) and then opened only in the bedroom, that can work.

Last edited:
Yes thats the problem is the length. Cant maneuver it into the rooms we were going to use it in. Are there lifts with smaller dimensions, mostly the base.

Is there any way your local ALSA can give you a grant for a ceiling lift that you can install over the bed?

Manual for ARJO Maxi Twin Compact Hoyer, dimensions on page 40.

Attachments

• ARJO Maxi Twin Compact.pdf
    3.2 MB · Views: 91
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back