Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
11/2022
Country
US
State
NY
Could someone please explain "nightgown bedpan," how to use it, and post an image?

I pee every 2.5 hours all night long and I will drive my spouse nuts if I wake him up each time. However, I have a feeling I'm not going to be "shuffling to the bathroom" (Tomswife's expression) any more, after maybe 2-5 months. I'm continuing to get weaker week by week. I have to plan this out! I break out in an allergic dermatitis rash on upper thighs at the drop of a hat.

I don't know what a nightgown bedpan is but I have heard the wick incontinence system is pretty effective for women. I believe it is a suction system.

I looked into that. It's actually a wicking system. I haven't figured out how I would avoid dumping the contents of the container on the carpet. I'm a klutz when I'm groggy. I guess that's my only option? If I use the special funnel in bed, I'm afraid I might need help and again I'm afraid of knocking something over.

I take it I wouldn't like any sort of catheter?

Some women use catheters. Obviously, it's more of a big deal than for a guy. The risk of infection is real. And you still need bag or basin changes.

Most PALS if they have a good sleep setup don't need to get up much at night. If you get up every few hours, have you seen a GYN or urologist? There are good meds for that.

Once PALS started his NIV, he slept well and didn't get up anymore in the middle of the night. We aren't positive there's a correlation, but it seems so.

We don't want you dehydrated, but perhaps you can drink more during the day when you have help. Then reduce hydration about 2 hours before bedtime. If you are going a lot during the night, maybe you are hydrating too much at night?

*Jumping in to address the original question re: "nightgown bedpan". This is not actually a thing but just an issue of missing punctuation. It is likely the person who made the original reference was stating she wore a nightie for easier use of a bedpan.

Reactions: MJT
I've spoken to PALS who love PureWick. Obviously there is an ongoing cost for the supplies.

Screenshot 2023-01-22 at 2.11.04 PM.png

Shiftkicker that one had me so stumped and I remember asking them to explain what it is but I don't think there was a reply.
One missing comma and everything changes

Is that like: Let’s eat Grandma vs. Let’s eat, Grandma?

True- an easy enough omission. Especially when one struggles with dexterity.

It is an easy omission, but even putting in a comma I had not idea that it meant wear a nightgown and use a bedpan 😄

I have tried Oxybutinyn. It gave me a very dry mouth so it ended up kind of the same net effect.

Do you have any other ideas for medications, lgelb?

I'm hoping that once I have the feeding tube, pushing liquids in the morning and early afternoon will help kind of like what you said, Tomswife.

Today I had my first flood. I started peeing as I was getting up from the chair, and I could not stop it. When I made it to the bathroom I had to sit down and continue, through the nightgown, underwear and long underwear (which I wear to keep warm).

Clearly it is time to put something waterproof under the bedsheet, just in case!

I will discuss with the Synapticure neurologist on Thursday.

Will you be purchasing some depends or something like that to wear at night?

Mupstate, I am struck by your matter-of-fact attitude when recounting awful experiences. You are brave and strong!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back