Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
11/2022
Country
US
State
NY
I break out in a rash (allergic dermatitis) on my thighs if I wear anything containing less than 95% cotton. I have not had any dribbling or floods in bed, so far, but it makes me nervous. I tried putting a bath towel under my sheet but it slides down and bunches up in the wrong place.

I'm not very good at internet shopping. I agonize and it's so time consuming.

When our children were small, we had some waterproof pads, all cotton, if I remember right, rather thick and didn't bunch up. They worked great for pee accidents, leaky breasts, and spit-up. I could lie on top of one and it didn't slide around. I can't remember where we bought them. They came in a couple different sizes.

Any suggestions for what to buy or look for?

Possibly cotton towels and a bluey underneath?

There are mattress pads on Amazon with a terry (cotton) top. I would want that full coverage without bunching as much as towels could.

If you prefer a cotton quilted pad instead of terry, they have that, too.

Type 100% cotton terry mattress pad or 100% quilted cotton mattress pad into the Amazon search box. Then on the left select your bed size, whether you need waterproof, whether you need machine washability (yes!) etc.

Look for deep pockets if you have a thick mattress or an overlay on top. Many pads will specify how tall the mattress including any overlays can be.

One of the thing I do to protect the actual mattress is buy a dust mite cover that is waterproof. I"m not worried about the mattress pad since it can be washed. My bedding is all organic but the mattress pad is very thick. I have a large capacity washer and dryer that just holds it by itself. I also have a waterproof dust mite cover over my 3 inch topper. I bought my mattress pad online. It was outrageously expensive because it's all organic. I don't remember where I bought it but it has lasted well over 6 years.

I bought a non-leak-proof mattress cover. Will let you know how it works out. The inside is made of wool. Supposedly I will be protected from the wool by lots of cotton. (I'm allergic to wool and synthetic fabrics.) I want something for my peace of mind. I was told that if I react to the wool they will take it back.

I'm afraid of latex, vinyl, plastic, rubber, etc. I am hopeful this will protect the mattress if the worst comes to pass.

Also, I saw the Guthrie urogynecology NP today (only 35-min drive). She said Myrbetriq 50 mg has fewer side effects than Oxybutynin, but takes up to 4 weeks to take effect. So we decided I will go back on the Oxybutynin for a couple weeks and then switch to the Myrbetriq.

To be honest I was experimenting with not taking the Oxybutynin, and we both think that's the cause of the floods I've had. She said that if I'm still getting floods after some time on the Myrbetriq, she recommends that I get the Botox injection, with a small initial dose to lower the risk of having to self-catheterize for several weeks after the injections. She said it's not worth the risk of getting the Botox for dribbles, but yes for floods.

I was given a combo test. Clean with treated towelette, pee in the hat (I produced 150 cc), then get ultrasound to estimate how much pee left in the bladder: 10 cc. The NP was very pleased about that.

I hear you, I've got shockingly sensitive skin and it's only gotten more sensitive as I age.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back