Not open for further replies.

RL92689

Reason
Other
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
Hi there, just registered on the forum to post this thread in the hopes of receiving some clarity re: what I'm experiencing. I have read the stickies, and they have provided me with much reassurance, but I value the thoughts and opinions of those in this community, so here we go:

A little bit about me: I am a 33 y.o. perfectly healthy male (I think) who about 8 weeks ago, out of the blue, woke up one morning with tingling in my fingers and toes (which I know is not indicative of ALS, but please bear with me). The tingling is exacerbated when the temp drops or I'm holding something cold, and it has abated at times, but it has never completely gone away. I went to my PCP, she conducted some basic neuro tests which were normal, but referred me to a neuro just to be safe (my appointment is scheduled for 6/27).

Around the time I woke up with the tingling, I was probably using marijuana more than I had in my entire life due to apathy towards my current work situation, and my caffeine intake, which normally is high, was VERY high (I also workout intensely (eg, powerlifting) and have tweaked my neck/back/shoulders over the years). 2 weeks post PCP appointment, I had a normally intense lifting session in the morning and then went for a run into town to meet my wife and daughter. This was an intense run as I was trying to time it so they weren't waiting for me too long, but then later that night we were on the deck and I noticed twitching in my calves. Now, normally I would dismiss this as too much caffeine, not enough water, and particularly intense exercise that day; however, having the pre-existing tingling sent me into a spiral and my anxiety creeped to levels I've never experienced. I am a self-admitted hypochondriac and do have general anxiety, though it has been better in the past 5 years.

The calf-twitching has been persistent since I first experienced it almost a week ago, and I do notice twitches throughout my body which I admit is likely due to how intense my exercise is and my hyper-vigilance about my body due to the past 8 weeks. Once every month or couple months after my daughter has her bottle on my lap, I'll stand up and it feels like my legs are going to give out. My strength in the gym is roughly the same as it's always been, FWIW.

I apologize for the "stream of consciousness post", but I witnessed first-hand my step-father succumbing to ALS only a couple of years ago, and then I imagine not watching my daughter graduate college or get married, and I catastrophize in my head and my chest gets tight and my breath shortened. I appreciate anyone taking the time to read and respond to this:)

I am quite sure the neuro visit will be reassuring and I think you know that. It is unfortunately true that many neuros order emgs for people like you. I don’t think you need one but if you have one do not go down the rabbit holes of oo earlyor thinkingo,e minorfinding is going to turn into als.

I am sorry about your stepfather.

While you wait for your appointment cut down on the caffeine and marijuana, hydrate properly and exercise sensibly. If you have health anxiety as you state get help for that and for stress management

Enjoy your family and do not spend time here and on other ALS sites.

<quoted text removed>

I very much appreciate the response and reassurance, and yes, I should do myself a favor and just stay off any ALS-related sites. Thank you again!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back