Forum issues after update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Forum threads not loading.

You can hit new posts from the thread you are reading I meant instead of the back button but you do have to scroll up to get the option so it isn’t as easy though still only one click

Down isn't bad, but I don't scroll up as well as I used too.

Maybe it is fixable. I know David will try

Since the upgrade I can't access the site using my Comcast ISP. I get the error message below.

Can’t reach this page

•Make sure the web address https://www.alsforums.com is correct
•Search for this site on Bing
•Refresh the page

I tried with 2 different PCs, Android phone, laptop & iPAD & none work using access thru Comcast. If I close Comcast wifi on my phone, I can logon using just the phone service. If I use the phone as a hot spot for PC internet access, I can logon with the PCs.

So the issue is not with my devices or device settings. Apparently alsforums somehow blocking my access thru Comcast.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Really strange. I have comcast ( though in Massachusetts) and have no issues. Computer illiterate here. Did you log out and in again? Did you reboot your modem? Those are my fallbacks

So sorry hopefully David knows what’s up or someone else can help

I have Comcast as well. I'm sure many of us do.

Did you try holding the shift key down while clicking the reload button while on the screen where you get the message, or using the URL with the /forum at the end? Deleting your browser cache?

The database problems we had earlier this week may have confused the DNS server your wifi connection uses.

Best,
Laurie

Hard to believe, but I think it may be a problem with my router - which was already rebooted twice with no improvement. Problem just started a few days ago & is only with alsforums.

Neighbor can connect OK. I cleared out cache on the PC - no help. Also, can't connect thru home wifi using phone or iPAD. When I disconnect from home wifi & use the phone service or PC/phone tethered, phone & PC both connect fine. So my devices & settings are OK as long as I don't connect using Comcast/wifi.

I'm not sure how your router could be at fault, if this is the only site it can't reach, but that brings up another possible fix, equally weird-sounding, which is to change your DNS, if you have done all the rest.

I changed DNS setting - no help. Also, the DNS setting (both old & changed) works fine if I use phone/tethering instead of my home wifi.

The one common thing that doesn't work is when using my home wifi to access alsforums. All the diverse devices I use fail when doing this. When I use phone service as wifi hot spot, I can connect just fine. So, the problem is apparently related to something specific to my home wifi.

I'll post the solution if I find it.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Do you have an xfinity hotspot you can test on? Or would your neighbor let us log on with his network? In case this is somehow multifactorial comcast plus your device settings. Reaching I know

In the list of available networks, I see "xfinitywifi" - it's open/unsecured. Not sure where this is, but when I used it, I connected fine.

Another clue - I pinged alsforums. The first line is the summary using phone tethering wifi. The second is using home wifi, which quickly timed out. The only difference between the two results is the wifi that was used. I'm not sure what the results mean.

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss)

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss)

Did you check the 'Blocked Sites' list in your router's admin functions to make sure ALSForums.com was not inadvertently added to the list?

Dave -
Your suggestion sounds like it could be the solution. It's about the only thing I haven't looked at. I'll see what I can do & post the results.

In the list of available networks, I see "xfinitywifi" - it's open/unsecured. Not sure where this is, but when I used it, I connected fine.

Another clue - I pinged alsforums. The first line is the summary using phone tethering wifi. The second is using home wifi, which quickly timed out. The only difference between the two results is the wifi that was used. I'm not sure what the results mean.

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss)

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss)

Can you run a "ping www.alsforums.com" and tell me what IP your computer is resolving to for alsforums.com and www.alsforums.com?

Windows Start (or Cortana), type "cmd" and click it, this should open a DOS window. Then type:

ping www.alsforums.com

and then

ping alsforums.com

It should be pinging 192.169.205.255 for both commands.

Pinging alsforums.com [192.169.205.255] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.169.205.255: bytes=32 time=41ms TTL=53
Reply from 192.169.205.255: bytes=32 time=40ms TTL=53

Dave -
Your suggestion sounds like it could be the solution. It's about the only thing I haven't looked at. I'll see what I can do & post the results.

Also, you could send me your IP shown here from the computer that isn't working: https://www.whatismyip.com/

I can check our firewall to make sure you're not being blocked somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back