Diagnosis
12/2013
Country
US
State
Ca
City
Surf City
It's getting to be more of a chore. We have always used a simple toothbrush and paste. Is a water pik a good option?

One of my first purchases post Dx was a Sonicare tb. Big enough to hold with two hands.

One of my first purchases post diagnosed was a Sonicare tb. Big enough to hold with two hands.

Same here except I've been using one for years. Don't think I could even move a regular one in my mouth now. Don't have the strength to overcome the friction, little as it is. Worst part for me is the chocking and gagging that always accompanies it

>Worst part for me is the chocking and gagging that always accompanies it

Ditto that! I have a suction machine but up 'till now have refused to use it. haven't been able to breath stack for two weeks. After guests, back to nebulizer.

Brother and wife arrives tomorrow morning and leave Sunday night. My goal is to not discuss my ALS during their whole visit. Unfortunately, Saturday morning is the Woodlands ALS walk where I have a team and so ignoring ALS will be tricky :).

Also, Dick's wife Ann lost her father to ALS and I think he went down the hard way… All the way to bed ridden and possibly on the vent.

IIWII ("It Is What It Is!") ...

Similar issues here: I can still hold a toothbrush (or fork, or spoon, or wad of toilet paper ;) ) but my stupid fingers become less able to control them day by day. It may be what it may be, but I need to find those alternatives ( bidet, electric toothbrush, etc) and start using them.

electric toothbrush and bidet toilet are requirements!

I have a sonic care tooth brush. It does all the work. Just watch how much tooth paste you use. It can.be a mess.
Patrick

Im a caregiver of my husband with als and a dental assistant. Yes a water pike is great but u can still use ur toothbrush just buy a tennis ball and put a lil hole in the top and bottom that will make it a whole lot easier to hold same worn utensils

What a clever idea Courtlow! I am definitely going to try the tennis ball idea for my PALS (as long as our labrador doesn't see it, things could get messy!).

oh Poppie the image i have in my mind of a tug of war between man and dog with a toothbrush and tennis ball...so funny
love Gem

Darcey uses a battery operated tooth brush that has a spinning head. I put a small amount of tooth paste on it, put it in her mouth, turn it on (as she can no longer do so) and help bring her left hand up to hold it. I then bring her right arm up, resting its elbow on the top of her stomach, so she can hold it from the other side. With two hands she can move it around in her mouth. When she is done, she nods to me... and I'll turn the toothbrush off and pull it out of her mouth. I then put a small plastic cup (double shot glass sized), filled with water, to her lips. She leans her head back slightly and gets whatever amount of water she needs to "swish". When done, she spits back into the plastic cup. I then wash and put everything away. She is beginning to have problems turning the toothbrush over to change from top to bottom teeth. And a few times, I've had to help her with the forward facing sides of her front teeth. I suspect there will come a time, in the not too distant future, when I'll take over that task for her. As difficult as it would be to get her into the dentist's office for a cleaning, we've made it a point to spend some 5 minutes, morning and night, when brushing her teeth. It is our attempt to be wise and proactive...

Jim

Crest makes a prohealth mouth rinse. Its non alcoholic and really good for.fighting plaque and gum disease. There are store brand versions at walmart and grocery stores like Publix that work just as well. We have used it for years successfully

JimInVA I'm a dental assistant. The dental office should accomadate her needs. We have worked on many patients who are wheelchair bound. They stay in their chair and lean the chair back as much as possible. You need to find a new dentist if they will not accomidate her.

You might try an electric tooth brush. It gets heavy but someone else can help you use it to.

>You might try an electric tooth brush.

the canned beer of the 21st century!

-----
[1:32:13 PM] Max L. Eidswick: what kind of toothbrush did you get me?
[1:41:35 PM] Sandy Eidswick: Oral B

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back