Toothpaste that won't make me start over-producing slimy saliva?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tamilard

Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
07/2019
Country
CA
State
AB
Between my severe sensory issues, hypersalivation, and horribly overactive gag reflex, getting my teeth brushed is an abysmal ordeal for both me and my caregiver, and as a result does not get done nearly often enough and will usually result in one of us crying. Even after brushing, my breath still smells like the depths of Tartarus because if you touch my tongue past the tip, I might throw up.

We have tried Arm & Hammer, and are considering Sensodyne Rapid Relief. I just want to not be a mucousy mess. Baking soda has been the best but it's so abrasive. Any tips? Also had club soda recommended to me.

I'm assuming they meant the Auromere Ayurvedic no foam toothpaste. I found it on Amazon and will consider it. Thanks!

No toothpaste worked for my husband. We used the small, unscented individual disposable swabs ("Toothette") and single-use GUM flossers as well.

Toothpaste tablets (eg Unpaste, Hello, BITE) don’t foam much at all.

Never heard of toothpaste tablets!
Anyone ever use a water pick? I don't really know anything about them and I guess my concern is getting the back of my throat blasted and choking

My personal choice is Miessence. It doesn't contain sodium lauryl sulfate which is what causes the foaming. Still have a lot of saliva doing the back teeth but it is more manageable without added toothpaste foam. As for a waterpik, I use one and have no trouble with choking. I have let it slip a couple times and caused a giant 'hack', but with care it is also manageable.

I will add to watch the online video about how to use a waterpik as it requires the ability to lean over a sink or a pail to let the water out as you use it.

My PALS husband Tom stopped using manual toothbrush and toothpaste. He used an electric toothbrush with Listerine rinse. And waterpik flosser. He really liked the waterpik. He would just let the water dribble out since spitting was not possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back