Diagnosis
02/2010
Country
US
State
mo
City
nixa
ready to buy adjustable bed. looking at tempur-pedic, sleep number, and simmons beauty rest. are there others i should look at. what is the favorite of pals comments

You should not have to buy one. Your doctor can prescribe one for you and if you are on SS disability,Medicare will pay for most of it. I have a Hill Rom bed. Just got it 2weeks ago. It is a comfortable bed and functional.

Last edited by a moderator:
I gathered you are wanting to purchase a bed larger than a Twin XL. If that's the case, I really can't help you, but would like to give you some information to think about.

First, it is true that Medicaid, Medicare and most private insurances will pay for a bed every 5 years, but that isq after you pay for the 13 month rental (used to be 9 months). After that the bed is yours.

As for features, most brands are comparable. Most beds today are electric and the head and feet can be raised or lowered with an attached remote. The one feature that some beds have (and your caregivers back will thank you for it) is mine also raises and lowers the whole bed. Some electric, some with a crank. My husband is 6'7" and bending over tou change my nappy,wheelchair transfers and bedside potty transfers are much easier. My full time caregiver uses it with the hoyer lift, so she does not have to lift so high.

As for mattresses, so many have been mentioned. But I believe most have chosen the air or at least the gel filled overlay. You also would want a cover that is waterproof (anybody can have an accident). As for me,I'm taking the princess and the pea approach. I'm trying many before I choose.

Also, sheet sets can be purchased at Tar get anytime. Wa l ma rt sells them for back to school specials as college dorm beds are TwinXL.

Good Luck with your purchase,

as suggested already--you will definitely want one that has entire bed height adjustment available for sure. Something to prevent pressure sores will also be needed--a standard bed won't prevent them at all.

There are even beds like mine that have built-in massage, which is great for those that have back or leg pain.

I used a Tempurpedic overlay after my stroke, but it did get pretty hot to lay on. I tried one of the adjusting air flow mattress pads and didn't like it personally. Circulation is a big issue.

Hope you find one you like.

Just one clarification -- private insurance is more likely to buy (but that is to say, reimburse a fixed amount) outright at the beginning rather than lease. Medicare is somewhat different.

In addition to overall height, foot height, head height, you may also find the ability to slope the entire bed helpful esp if you have or foresee back and/or hip issues.

sorry if i am butting my though in but let me tell you about my brother he needed a bed got the Dr gave him a prescribe he went to knigh and Philippe got a bed 1/2 electric and manual as he got sicker the bed was uncountable but that is what we had he got sick ended up in the hospital the bed they had was so good my brother fall in love it is the hill rom p1900 ask the dr if he can get one the dr gave him a scribe but medicare blue cross said no asked als they called hill rom in michigan they said medicare said no you got one that is all you get for 5 years for your information the new p1900 hill rom cost $25,000 now we are looking for a used one found one on ebay $1800 + shipping we are trying to save to buy it for him he only got 6mo to 1 year to live so do not rush like my brother did like all the others said don't just get a bed get what will work best for you but also think 5 years down the road good luck

I have private insurance. BC/BS and I am renting for 13 months and then its mine. (If I live 13 months.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back