Diagnosis
03/2017
Country
US
State
MA
City
Grafton
I have two boys and a girl. My daughter is 9 years old and has been enthusiastically supportive and hopeful from the start. These days, I frequently hear "wow, good job mom!" when she is helping me get dressed and I manage to lift a foot or push an arm through. She is always sincerely impressed.

Last night she was feeding me some dinner. I don't eat a lot by mouth anymore, but this was soft, cheesy tortilla dipped in guacamole and I was determined to have some of the goodness. I had a few good bites and she said "great job, mom! For 3 years with ALS you're strong! Let's go two more years!" Her eyes were so full of pride and hope it was beautiful. Just a moment over dinner but she's always cheering me on. My heart is full.

She is an absolute tribute to your sensitive, sensible and loving parenting. She did not learn this caring and positive responsiveness in a vacuum, but by example. Great job, mom, indeed!

Thanks Fiona <3

Kristina,

Your daughter is a rock star and it is BECAUSE of you. In these troubled times, it makes me happy to know her generation will soon be making decisions that affect us all.

Thanks for sharing this. It lifted my spirit

Kristina, thanks for sharing. My daughter is 11 and has such a positive attitude also. At the very least, they have learned compassion from this crappy disease. When I was using a cane and she was 6, we would go grocery shopping at Trader Joe's. She would run all over the store gathering our stuff while I hobbled along with the cart as my walker. Then she would carry the bags into the apartment and hop on the scale. Was usually 25 lbs of groceries. She only weighed 46 lbs....
She is well aware of the expected outcome of ALS, but seems to still think that I will live a long time. I guess that's the only way I would want to think about it if the roles were reversed..

Last edited:
Jimi, she sounds like such a sweetheart. Does she attend camp HLC? We were at the California one this year so I'm wondering if I met her.

No, she has never attended, thanks

For those with a child that's a precious jewel and a blessing; daughter or son: A child, actively serving with a loving heart, reflects the example. May the hope of many "good" years be realized.
B.

Thanks B. Very well put!

I got a chill when I read your story. What a beautiful heart your daughter has. You are clearly doing something right! I have 3 boys so this resonates with me. I think I will re-read this the next time I get down about this crummy disease. This will pick me up.

... so is mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back