Medical Cannabis for ALS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Smoking anything is bad for your lungs. Of course, some people don't get lung cancer or other issues when they smoke but, clearly, there is evidence that PALS should be preserving lung function, not harming it.

Smoke is an irritant to impaired breathing, no matter what's burning. There are many other other ways to consume cannabis.

if there are some pals who use cannabis, please share your experience...

I no longer get the horrible cramps at night since starting back on a small dose of THC and upping my dose of CBD.

maybe pals or cals who are suspicious should watch presentation:

sentence at 0:59 tells a lot

Last edited:
I’ve been using Medical mj in several different forms for almost 2 years. Even being a total newby with zero knowledge of dosing and etc, (and trying to forget one bad anxiety attack brought on by vaping too much) I had immediate improvement in both pain management and mood/anxiety level. Ive gained experience on dosing and what works for me without making me feel stoned. I measure pain relief by how much time I spend with a heating pad, and measure emotional relief by how much time I spend obsessing over the illness. I really can’t say whether I’m feeling relatively better because of the mj, or whether we all go through a process of adapting to our reality, sort of like the grieving process. I am back using the heating pad a lot, but still feel much better than that first awful year.

I've gone off it for a month and felt terrible. More pain, worse sleep, much more cramping, more anxious.

The only bad thing is the cost.

@Dgnk thanks for sharing your experience. i am waiting for more users to write their experience, so i will write mine in details. i noticed that cbd is more effective for me if taken i.e. 3 x 20mg than 1 x 100.
i am on thc since september. today i am off and i feel fantastic. faster, energized, crisp (not crunchy!).
how much do you take daily? i guess you did elevate dosage through 2 years, what is a tempo/strategy of elevation? what do YOU mean by "medical marijuana"?
everybody knows about mmj peoperties and mechanisam of acting - sleep, anxiety, mood etc...
that is what people (pals, als experts) can say about noninvestigated/semilegal/obviously helping/wide_area_appliance plant ("drug")
i am not using mmj to calm me, to improve sleep or so. i am focused on improving. i study about mmj and it simply "covers" mostly damaged areas in a body. biggest problem is that there are no visual damage in als, no tumors, nothing. looks like apoptosis, but neurons, not cancer cells. and mmj has a proliferative properties.
i think that mmj is a gold mine, but it is not investigated.
i am so sorry to write in non-native language. i have many things to say, but...

Last edited:
Jethro, in answer to your Q’s: Medical mj in that I get it legally from a dispensary using a medical mj card obtained with a prescription from a doc.
I take it in 3 forms. Rick Simpson oil has so many components still in it, I wanted badly to use it in case it really can slow nerve degeneration. But it’s very strong and I don’t like feeling high, so I take a very small (rice-sized) amount squeezed onto an Advil, under my tongue, at bedtime. In the morning I take a small amount of distillate (honey-like) in the same way. For some reason, even tho high in thc, it doesn’t make me feel stoned. (For under tongue use, be sure the distillate is carboxylated (?), does not require heat added to activate thc). In between, I space 2 doses of tincture, always mixed equal thc/cbd to avoid feeling stoned.
Im sorry I can’t give you mg’s and exact dosages, I think effects are different for different people in any case, but I just try to start low and work up to a dose that makes me fuzzy, then back off a little. I agree that many small doses works better than fewer big doses.
Unfortunately, what is available from the dispensaries can change, as different government superbrains make decisions that often make your mj form of choice unavailable.
Kim, thanks for sharing your experience with stopping for a month. I’ve been chicken to try that, and now knowing your experience, I won’t stop my use if it’s in my control. Re the cost, yes, it is expensive, but I figure I wear the same 5 cheapo t-shirt dresses, don’t spend on hair or nails or jewelry or any of the fun stuff, so I feel ok about it.

I had to go off it due to intolerable and even painful dry mouth. This occurred even with just a few drops of CBD oil and one drop THC. I tried several times. I even use a med to stimulate saliva. Too bad. I wanted this to work out.

I’m sorry it had that effect on you Karen. It’s amazing how different we all are. At this moment I feel totally blessed that cannabis can help me face the disease without any negative side effects.

I had to go off it due to intolerable and even painful dry mouth. This occurred even with just a few drops of CBD oil and one drop THC. I tried several times. I even use a med to stimulate saliva. Too bad. I wanted this to work out.

admin, enable option "i dont like".
--
what EXACTLY cbd and thc did you take? maybe it is up to brand, concentration...? did you try "several times" with a same brand (not neccessary same products)?

Last edited:

Karen, I do notice more dry mouth than ever before but only with THC added. I'm hoping it won't bother my eyes after the surgery. My eyes seem drier than my mouth. I have two things the eye doctor gave me to keep my eyes moist before the 2-hour appointment for measurement and to establish if I can get the lenses I want.

So sorry it didn't work out for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back