Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
FL
Hi everyone. I really need some help here.

For the past 2 months I’ve had random muscle twitching all over my body. Which was new to me and of course alarming as soon as I went on google. I am somebody who already has anxiety but it has reached a new level these past couple months.

However it didn’t start with the twitching. I had muscle weakness in both my legs. Actual weakness the doctor could tell. I had many blood tests and MRI of Brain, neck, and spine and 1 EMG that the neurologist deemed normal. The only thing that came back was low thyroid levels and Hashimotos disease. An autoimmune disease which your own antibodies attack your thyroid gland. I started the proper medication for that and the leg weakness went away for the most part. I know that isn’t related to ALS because weakness doesn’t come and go.

I had minor twitching when all of this was first occurring. Random spots maybe just a couple times a day. Now I have a lot more muscle twitching 2 months later. Not all day long or very constant. Just little *bleep bleep* type twitches real quick and all over. I have some “thumper” type twitches I’ll get in my stomach. The twitching has definitely raised my anxiety because I don’t really understand why it is occurring but I’ve been able to tell myself it’s not ALS since my Neuro exam was fine.

But this is where I start to get really worried, the last 3-4 days I’ve noticed a “crampy” like feeling along the side of my hand on the pinky side. It doesn’t actually cramp up but just that achey/burning type cramp feeling if that makes sense. Today at the gym I was doing some wrist/hand movements with a light dumb bell when I noticed what looked like a dent in the side of my hand kind of where I felt the cramping the last few days. The dent is much more noticeable when there’s weight in my hand or if there’s pressure on the pinky finger. I don’t know if this dent is atrophy, normal, or something else.

I’m gonna attach some pictures for some advice. The pictures might seem silly as I am holding a gallon jug that’s about 60% filled with just my pinky. I’m doing this because this shows the “dent” or atrophy whatever it is much better than anything else. When my hands are normal and I’m not holding anything the “dent” is gone. I’m gonna post the hand without the dent doing it as well.

I’m also gonna mention I am only 25 years old and always have been very physically active and healthy. I know I might get the “you’re too young to have ALS” but these odd symptoms as of late have me terrified to the core and fueled with anxiety to where I can barely focus on anything else. I haven’t gone back to neuro because I can’t afford it right now but I seriously need some advice/help if anyone thinks this is atrophy in my hand.

Also regarding to the picture of me holding the Jug with my pinky. There’s no weakness there I can notice which is good and the same goes for My other hand. I can still pick up weights as of now too. But the dent in my hand, along with the cramping and twitches all over my body have brought the ALS thought back and stronger than ever and I just need some guidance/feedback. I’m so sorry for the word vomit I’m pretty anxious as I type this out. Thanks to anyone who reads and responds.

1D5F126D-BE73-4FAD-96E5-4C6F777B46B9.jpeg
04386CD4-717C-4811-A62D-2000C6797D56.jpeg
15321833-5D71-4B31-AE35-519B87356E4F.jpeg
7C3C9AA4-E103-47D5-93B6-0BB31C2F1005.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
The pinky is the weakest/thinnest finger, but you can see a doc for baseline strength testing.

Thyroid levels in Hashimoto's can rise and fall even with medication, causing symptoms such as you mention. But even if that's not the whole cause, it doesn't add up to ALS, which I can't see any reason to suspect.

I would see your doc for reassurance and perhaps a referral for your anxiety.

Best,
Laurie

Please read this if you have not already done so: Important - READ BEFORE POSTING! Answers to common concerns about possible symptoms!

You don’t have ALS.

You had weakness associated with hypothyroidism, and that is being treated. Your EMG was normal. You’ve had some twitching. Twitching is common, nonspecific, and meaningless in the absence of muscle function failure which you have not described. You have a dent. Dents are common and meaningless. But you can pick up a jug with your pinky. Wow! You have an unusually strong pinky. You’ve had some cramping for a few days. A few days! That means nothing.

You are young and you have a serious case of health anxiety. Please seek help for that. But you’re in the wrong place here.

Sorry I didn’t read the “Read before posting” page prior to my post. I’m new here and was sorta panicky. I’m grateful for your quick responses. I am well aware it seems I have extreme health anxiety right now but the thing is I never have before. I’ve had anxiety but never to this extreme. All the weird symptoms have brought this out of me. In regards to the dent that is completely new I’ve never seen it before and it’s only there when I’m holding something as the photos show. That definitely freaked me out on top of the ongoing twitches I’ve had the past 2 months.

So that’s really not atrophy? I don’t mean to be a pest I know this disease is serious and awful and my deepest thoughts and prayers are with anyone who is going through with it. I’ve just had some issues piecing my symptoms together.

I was just looking for feedback on my photos and symptoms to help her a better understanding if it was presenting like ALS or if I have something entirely different going on. I know nobody here can 100% diagnose but hearing from people who know this disease well gives a little peace of mind. I wish all of you the best

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm the third senior member now to tell you clearly - you are not presenting with any ALS symptoms.
Dents are not atrophy, and those photos are not helpful. Go back to your doctor, really that is where you will get answers.
Please tell your doctor clearly about your fears so you can be helped. Anxiety is awful and scary, but it is very treatable.

Twitching means nothing, truly.

A really good health anxiety forum is “No more panic”. If you go there, you’ll see that fear of ALS comes up a lot for people with health anxiety.

There is no suggestion of atrophy in your pics, but even if there were, it is motor function that is compromised in ALS first and foremost. The fact that you have such strength in your pinky renders the notion of impaired motor function moot.

Thank you all for your responses. It means a lot that you take the time. I feel reassured you all don’t think it appears to be atrophy.

My right hand continues to have a dull cramp with no actual cramp and my pinky feels quite achey too yet I’ve had no type of injury. My left hand feels perfectly fine and normal. I didn’t mention previously but my right leg also has seemed a little more stiffer than my left the last few weeks. While strength seems the same it’s had almost a weird numb heavy sensation and it feels like my hip is stiff/tight.

What I’m getting at is ALS something you can feel coming on like I am with these odd symptoms/sensations? My hand isn’t weak but it aches and has a perceived weakness. Same with the leg I described. Is this like a warning sign? I had an EMG 2 months ago would that have been too soon since my symptoms have gotten stranger since? I’m trying to put this to rest but I have my odd doubts about the way I feel. Thanks for your time

symptoms
Wide spread twitching
Weaker sensation on right side
Muscle ratcheting arms/legs/stomach
Slight tremors
Pins and needles in feet when i sit sometimes
Crampy hand/pinky

You don't have ALS and, no, one doesn't feel ALS coming on. They just cannot do something. Also, one does not feel weak because of it. You've asked your questions and they have been answered. Again, you dont have ALS, so congrats, this forum is not the right place for you. That's great.

Take good care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back