Diagnosis
05/2000
Country
US
State
MI
City
Grand Rapids
When my pals tube gets clogged there have been a few successful methods before we have to call the doctor.
1) put coke/pepsi in the tube and let it eat away.
2) put vinegar 1/2 way up, then put in a little baking soda, close the valve right away, because it starts to bubble up and out.

Excellent advice, we use coke in ER when people get a piece of meat stuck in their esophagus, as first line. The carbonation helps as well. I was also thinking that heated liquid would also help because I think that a lot of time it may be the fat in the feed that clogs it. Obviously it can't be boiling hot. When I flush my PALS tube I use the hottest water that comes out of the tap, and he says that he can't even feel it. If I use room temperature liquid he says it gives him a chill.

(touching some wood) we haven't had any true clogs yet, but I've been told the coke works. I've kept a half a flat bottle in the fridge as it isn't the bubbles that do the work ;)

I do find we can have some positional 'clogs' though. If he sits in the seat of his walker he is more upright. Just when I start to think uh oh it's blocked he will breathe or I will wiggle the right way and presto. phew

My formula provider suggested massaging the tube at the clog and then flushing, only had to do it once but seemed to do the trick

Tillie; Actually the bubble do help, in that they produce pressure to push the clog, sort of in the same way that baking soda a vinegar does. Of course the tube has to be blocked so that the gas doesn't escape out.
When trying to dislodge a piece of food in the esophagus the second thing we do is give Gastrographin, crystals mixed in a bit of water, and as soon as they come in contact with acid they bubble up creating gas that expanse the esophagus allowing the stuck food to slip down, again baking soda and vinegar does this.

Coke works sometimes, a feeding tube brush or stiff pipe cleaner (from a tobacco shop, not a craft store) is great, but often just a hard push of air with the plunger will do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back