Diagnosis
03/2023
Country
US
State
MA
City
Boston
Hi, bulbar onset, 67 yo. Having constipation. Can only eat soft foods, taking Riluzole & Neudextra.
MD said to take Miralax daily, but its not working. Any suggestions? thank you !

I take magnesium (oxide works best for constipation) and 300 mg. of Colace Clear (stool softener.). If you're only eating soft foods, you might not be getting enough fiber. Increase your water intake. If you can drink shakes, cut out dairy and make shakes with some other protein source. You can use a Vitamix or other high-speed blender to blend high fiber foods (raspberries and blueberries have lots of fiber). Using walnut or soy milk (organic is preferred) as a base and add an avocado. You can flavor it with whatever you like including nut butters and raw cocoa/banana. Just make sure you're getting enough protein and fluid.

Most doctors default to Miralax. It doesn't help everyone. Don't be afraid to take 1,200 mg. of magnesium oxide in divided doses. I've gone as high as 2,000 mg. when I had a fissure.

iuse liquid mg from the body builder vitamin store and senna tea (smooth move). i agree about the fiber.

Just make sure you can tolerate stimulant laxatives if you choose to use one. I cannot.

I also forgot to mention using a Bidet toilet seat. Mine has an enema function and it actually works!

It's the Bio Bidet 2000.

I got it from a grant from ALSA in 2016.

KimT, when you say tolerate stimulate laxatives, do you mean because of cramping? Thanks
And what type of magnesium do you use? I cannot stand the taste of milk of magnesia. Thanks

All stimulants give me heart palpitations, even a small cup of coffee.

The best magnesium for constipation is Oxide.

The best magnesium for cramps is Glycinate.

I take both. Right now I'm taking 1,200 mg of Oxide and two Glycinate at bedtime for cramps and sleep.

Really, the stool softener combined with the magnesium and fiber was a game changer. I go regularly one or two times each day and I'm taking three drugs that cause constipation.

Don't forget the water.

Now, if you tolerate caffeine, a nice cup of coffee or two in the morning will help move things along BUT you need to make sure you drink plenty of water because stimulants tend to dehydrate.

My doc suggested a shot of prune juice. 2 or 3 oz. It help me

Besides what's listed above, worth trying are oatmeal, warm liquids, caffeinated beverages (mentioned for the am but I'll add, any time of day if you tolerate them, or even decaf coffee), pear juice, salsa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back