Botox injections in calves tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, Janelle, they really didn't tell me what to expect, beyond results in 3-7 days. You're right, Suzannah, that I have to re-learn how to walk again. I start PT on Mon, 3x/wk. See how that goes - not opposed to Botox in the hamstrings, if thats what it takes. I kinda hope to work my way right up to my eyes, you know. They really need a lift! :)

Update on the Botox treatment. Now that I'm 7+ days out, I can Summarize in one word. Disappointing. Toes are marginally relaxed. If I use my imagination. I can have another treatment, but the first one HURT. Not yet screwed up my courage to try again. No guareentees for round two either. Sigh.

Deb

Hi Deb,

Sorry you aren't seeing the results you are looking for yet. It can up to about two weeks to really see results. I think that's about how long it took for me to see changes the first time I did it.

I've had a lot of relief in my toes, but I suspect it was from the injections directly into the toe muscles on the bottom of my foot more than the calf muscle injections. Round three for me is next week. I'm not really looking forward to that.

Did they happen to tell you how much units of botox they used?

Deb, I'm so disappointed for you! They probably didn't guarantee anything for you, but to go through all of that for no improvement is annoying, especially now you know what to expect.
As Suzannah said, maybe a few more days...good luck with decisions for future treatment.

Suzannah, all the best for the next round. As you have had success, think on how the treatment will improve things as you are going through it.

God bless you both,Janelle x

Thanks for the renewed hope, Suzannah! So maybe in another week.......

I don't know how many units were used. There has been some improvement. Maybe I just had unrealistic expectations. I think the doc was aiming for the source of the problem in my tight calves, but perhaps next time he'll target the toes. Although that sounds even more painful. I'm such a baby.

Deb

Hi Deb,

Any changes in the last couples of days?

May I ask, mostly because I'm just curious, what happens to your toes when they are curling? Do they cause spasms and/or pain in your foot or leg? Are they curled all the time?

Mine, when riled up, point and curl down so hard that they trigger contractions in all the muscles in my lower leg, which causes my foot to simultaneously point down, pull up at the ankle, and turn in and under sideways. The force of all of those competing muscle actions makes it feel like my muscles are going to tear off the bones. It's fun. *rolls eyes*. The Botox hasn't made my toes stop curling, but it has reduced the severity of those crazy spasms. My next round is later this week on Thurs.

Take care,
Suzannah

Hi deb...I have been thinking of you and hope you have better news this week?

suzannah, glad those muscle spasms are slightly better.
God bless, Janelle x

Thanks for thinking of me, Janelle. Wish I had a better report on the Botox treatment, but alas, not. Suzannah, you gave an excellent description of your curly toes! Mine are always curled. I can't see any of my toenails. Consequently, I always have to have something on my feet, else my nails hit the hard floor surface and cause pain! I do get spasms, whenever my toes sense they need to grip to stabilize me, they contract tightly, even my big toe. This happens when I'm walking sometimes, or getting out of the shower. It may be my imagination, but it seems that I am getting more feet (arch) cramps since the Botox treatment. I also get cramps at night. Joy. I was hoping the Botox would relax my toes and make walking easier. It hasn't done that, and I'm hard pressed to come up with any other benefit. Best of luck to you on your next round!

My first time for moderation! I feel like an official member of the family now. :)
So wait for my response............

Deb, it seems the only good thing to come out of this, if it's recommend to you to try Botox again, now you can make a more informed decision.
When I noticed my toe (next to my big toe) was curled over, I could flex slightly and straighten it up. I can no longer move my toes, so will have to be aware of toe nail length. *sigh*
God bless, Janelle x

Deb,

I have had botox in my back to relieve contracted paraspinal muscles. Started at 100 units then 200 units the second time, which gave me a lot of relief. I am now at 400 units every3 months.. I now look forward to the shots. If your toes aren't relaxing then you may need to go up in dose but if they relax too much you might have trouble walking. I asked about trying it in my legs but the spasticity helps me walk-- when I've tried high THC marijuana it relaxes the spasticity to the point where It is very hard to walk and my legs shake like crazy. Unfortunately marijuana just doesn't work for me and makes me more sensitive to pain.

Before botox in my back I could only sit up for about 30 minutes at a time - long car rides and plane rides were torture. After my second botox injections my wife and I took a wonderful trip to Spain.

Don't give up! Hope it works for you.

Rob
P.s. Salon pas gel or patches help me a bit with pain from contractions & cramps too.

Hi Deb,

Sorry you aren't seeing the results you are looking for yet. It can up to about two weeks to really see results. I think that's about how long it took for me to see changes the first time I did it.

I've had a lot of relief in my toes, but I suspect it was from the injections directly into the toe muscles on the bottom of my foot more than the calf muscle injections. Round three for me is next week. I'm not really looking forward to that.

Did they happen to tell you how much units of botox they used?

It's Botox time! About to leave for my appointment. Very nervous. Luckily a friend is going with me this time to hold my hand :) Wish me luck!

Best wishes, Suzannah! Please keep us updated! {{{Hugs}}}

Deb

Thinking of you suzannah, glad you won't be alone.
God bless, Janelle x

Ooooh. That was rough. We did a lot more injections than the last time because I wanted to try some small doses in my arms (fingers and arms starting to curl as well). Three in arms, four in lower left leg, five in lower right leg, two in the sole of my foot. I had a single dose of ativan left over from a procedure years ago, so I took that and some Baclofen beforehand. I squeezed the heck out of my friend's hand during the all the injections and did my yoga jedi mind tricks and did pretty okay, but the two to the sole of my foot (which they saved for last) did make me cry. Ouch!

The person who went with me is actually my massage therapist, and that turned out to be really helpful because he knows which muscles are causing the most trouble. A couple of times, the doctor would ask me something I didn't quite know, so I'd turn to my friend and ask for his input. It was kind of funny listening to these two men having a conversation about my body without me. (Not in a bad way).

The doctor, who is a very sweet, kind man, also seems bewildered by the amount of pain the injections cause me. He asks me every time, "So, do you just have a hard time with needles in general ...?" And the thing is, I don't! I have a very high pain tolerance and am not afraid of needles. But 12+ injections into highly spastic muscles with an EMG-ified needle ... um yeah! That hurts! I also found out they mostly work with spinal cord injury patients, so I suspect a lot of them have impaired or no sensory function. My sensory nerves are (largely) intact, thank you very much.

Then I came home and slept off the Ativan for five hours :) Just waking up now.

RobC, that's great that you have found a dose that works for you. I did 300 units this time but am going to do 400 next time.

Deb, sorry you haven't seen any results. I would talk to your doctor again and see what kind of dose you had, and if there are any other muscles you could try, and maybe give it one more shot. (I have no vested interest in the outcome, I just know it can be soooo helpful when it's done in a useful manner).

Thanks for the well wishes!
Suzannah

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back