Advice on getting in/out of bed safely

Status
Not open for further replies.
I make sure when I'm getting out of bed that my husband is standing by and that he has my rollator so that I don't have any falls.

We'll be getting a hospital style bed when we move, which will hopefully be in the next couple of months. Right now, we are still looking for a suitable place. Our current apartment is on the third floor and there is no elevator. It takes me two solid minutes to climb the stairs using a cane, and I refuse to try without someone to watch.

Good luck with moving. I moved from my multi level house to a one level apartment in a building with two elevators ( 2 is good because even in a new building (5 years) occasionally an elevator goes out). It made a huge difference not to be fighting the stairs

For now is your bed too high or too low? You could elevate too low on blocks maybe. Too high is harder

I sleep in a hospital bed and it makes it much, much easier to get in and out of bed. A simple push of a button and I am raised to a seated position. From there, I can swing my legs over the side and get out of bed.

I still have the ability to get out of a regular bed, but the hospital bed has made it much easier and safer.

I procrastinated for more than a year after the doctor first suggested I get a hospital bed. I encourage you not to procrastinate like I did!

Steve

Tengu, many falls happen with a cane because someone tried to go faster than their body could or did not plant themselves well for the next step. I realize this is only temporary, but please remember to take it slow and steady, and rest if you need to.

<quoted text removed>
I am having very mixed emotions about moving because I have lived in this apartment for more than 25 years -- longer than I have lived in any residence previously -- but the reality of my progression makes it inevitable. However, another frustrating reality is that Japan's agings society has created a strong market for first-floor, barrier free-apartments, so finding one is a lot harder than I expected -- particularly since there are other considerations like the trains my wife needs to catch for work, etc.

Right now, I am trying to find a personal assistant who can accompany me as I go out apartment hunting during the day, because I really can't (or shouldn't) try to travel outside my apartment unaccompanied anymore.

As for my bed, it would be better if it was just a little higher, but it's a big queen sized bed and trying to raise it is beyond my capabilities.

Last edited by a moderator:
<quoted text removed>

Copy that. The cane is essential on my stairs because there are no railings, which is another reason I need to move. Even with the cane and taking it slowly, I have to stop and rest two or three times before I get to my floor.

I certainly would not expect you to be the one to place blocks under the bed! I was thinking you could get someone to do so. Good luck with apartment hunting. Can you do some of it online? Here there are websites for the big complexes that often have virtual tours. One thing to look at would be doorway width that it would accommodate a wheelchair. I know you don’t have one and don’t expect one soon but ALS is unpredictable. You might even need one temporarily if you get injured ( I hope that doesn’t happen)

As soon as we became nervous about transferring from chair to bed, we started using the hoyer lift for my husband Don. That immediately took away all stress of falling.

Does Tokyo have real estate professionals who can help you narrow down some places to see?
I was very attached to my prior residence but I've learned to love my new place and all the conveniences.

Unfortunately, there is nothing centralized on the civilian side. Most of the agencies that deal with rentals are small, local, and very jealous of their client listings, etc. A lot of them don't even have websites because the agents are mostly analog elderly men. We have to visit each one and see their vacancies. On the government side, there are some agencies that help match disabled people with appropriate locations, and we're working with them... but everything takes a long time when dealing with bureaucrats.

Last edited:
the next progression for me was to a sit-to-stand electric Hoyer lift like this:

Tuffcare Stand Up Electric Patient Lift - Sit to Stand, Standing Lift, Rhino Lift with Manual Low Base - with Transport Sling​

81upg07XLoL._AC_SX679_.jpg

81upg07XLoL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Renting it from local ALS Assoc.

Jeff, it's good that you didn't buy a sit/stand lift since generally PALS do not have the torso/neck strength to use them for long, if at all. So I would just caution anyone using one to watch for the time where joints may not have enough support, to avoid injury.

Glad yours is working for you at this point.

Update: I followed some suggestions and obtained an evaluation by occupational therapist. She provided a home evaluation and determined that the bed I was using was fine, but the way I was getting in/out of bed, I was trying to take too many steps.

So I made some changes she suggested. First, I bought a security pole with grab bars. It is tension rod that gives me stability at waist height. We live in a condo so no drilling into ceiling. My husband installed it and then therapist showed me how to use it. I pull up my mobility scooter, perpendicular to bed, grab the pole take a 1/2 step and sit on bed. I can adjust my position once seated. Same procedure to get out of bed.

I still have enough strength in my legs to stand and bend my knees to sit. I hope the pictures help with my new tool to get in/out of bed. It may be helpful if you struggle to get in/out of bed.

Any questions, please ask.

Calypso

Attachments

• pole.jpg
    pole.jpg
    749.1 KB · Views: 53
  • pole1.jpg
    pole1.jpg
    656.9 KB · Views: 46
  • pole2.jpg
    pole2.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 44