Troubling symptoms, would appreciate some reassurance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donny45

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
CA
State
ON
City
Kitchener
First off I'd like to say to everyone currently living with ALS and still coming on here to answer questions, THANK YOU. It is much appreciated.

So as for my symptoms.
About 5 days ago my right leg has been feeling pain/tightness behind the knee. Also the foot seems to be going a bit numb (possibly from the calf tightness?) I have twitching in the same leg, but also have them all over (thighs,shoulders, arms). More frequently in the affected leg, but not constant. The pain goes away sometimes if I stretch it right, but it comes back every night when I'm in bed trying to sleep.
No loss of strength. Hands still dexterous.

Background info:
I had been going for walks a lot more often because of the lock down, and I have also had a lot of health anxiety for about 3 weeks before the symptoms showed up, and havent been sleeping very much (4 hours is a good night). I am aware that it it most likely a strained muscle, but the fact that all I did was walk a lot, and it hasn't gone away after 5 days of resting it, worries me (actually seems to be getting worse)

Also, the rest of my limbs are very fatigued. But I understand that's very likely caused by the anxiety and insomnia.

Basically, I would like to know what you guys think about this. I have not seen a doctor because of the pandemic. I did have a phone appointment with my doctor and he basically told me the chances are so low that hes not worried about it.

I agree with your doc. You can find self-massage and stretches for your calf/leg on YouTube and elsewhere. Just getting up and walking without stretching it out can be irritating.

But no one feels at their best on four hours of sleep, magnifying any pain, twitches and stiffness, so you are going to have to tackle your anxiety. Many mental health resources, affiliated with your primary care doc or elsewhere, are available via telemedicine. I would suggest you make use of one. You might also ask your PCP about screening or restless leg syndrome/periodic limb movement disorder.

Best,
Laurie

Thanks laurie,

Do you think it is odd that the muscle that is cramped and twitching is significantly smaller than the other calf? (Always was smaller, but now it seems... more so)

My other leg is starting to cramp up now. I am really worried!!

Yeah sorry makes sense. Just all very strange symptoms that I've never had before. Got caught up in the Google trap.

One last question and I believe I will be rid of this fear.
Has anyone heard of a calf muscle being persistantly tight and twitching to be a early ALS symptom?

I just can't seem to get it to loosen up, and I find it frightening because i am only 27 and havent done anything strenuous to explain why it is doing this.
I understand I am being a pain, and i promise i wont be back. I just have this one last thing on my mind that makes me think all night.

No. Let this go now. Live a long and healthy life

closing thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back