Diagnosis
10/2008
Country
US
State
Virginia
City
Richmond
I was just thinking of this the other day as I offered it to another member. I know that in doing research on different procedures or conditions, etc, it can be frustrating to pull up something for a research article and then find out you have to pay for the article or pay for a membership to the publisher, especially if it seems like the article might have information that you really want to read..

I have free access to most medical journal articles through my university's library (yay for staying in grad school!), so I just want to offer to anyone who might have a burning desire to read a particular article, I'm happy to try and get it. It can be faster than trying to go through an interlibrary loan and cheaper than paying for each article.

Just trying to find a way that this nurse PALS can help fellow PALS :grin:

-Michelle

What a generous and thoughful offer! I'm sure many forum members will take you up on this.

:)

Great idea Michelle. Many thanks.

AL.

Denise

Michelle,
I am looking for information on the Knopp Study. Do you have any information you could share?
Thanks for your all you help.
Denise

I found a good amount of info just doing a google search, but as far as any peer-reviewed research texts, there was only one (the official published results of the study) and it wasn't available through my school. However, it seemed like the info found through google pretty much sums up the study and definitely more in layman's terms.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help on that one!

Denise

I will check this out. TYVM

Hi,
I just got an email from a concerned client of mine at my tennis club where I coached.He had a luncheon the other day and one of the speakers was Dr.Paul Cox who spoke of his research on ALS and Parkinson's Disease.He made a very interesting presentation about some new findings.To my surprise, his research organization (The Institute for Ethno Medicine) is located here in Jackson where a team of about a dozen researchers coordinate the work of a network of ALS researchers at over 20 universities around the world.I was like "this is great,a research organization in my town".So I will be contacting them and certainly will hope to be their guinea pig.Jackson only has pop of 12000 or so and I think Pals ,me included.I will keep you updated on this for sure.I am excited to have this in my hometown...in the mountains..lol.

Have a great day all
James

James, that's terrific ! Both that such an organization exists and that you have access to it in your backyard. Please let us know what you learn.

Follow up ..on Dr Cox.Met with him and his research team today.I am very excited on their research.I will be meeting with them a couple times a month which is great.Drop in anytime they said.He said "we are your personal research team"which they are for all of us.Just happens that I am the only pals in town.He was so pleased to meet me and my wife and have a pals there in town,its a small town! So ,its exciting for all of us.I will keep you posted on their research,very exciting.I am even more convinced on the environmental toxic effect ad cause of sporadic als.
James

That sounds great Michelle. I've been frustrated many times when I've tried to access a medical article only to find I have to login and pay a fee. I'll probably take you up on your offer sometime! :grin:

jamesMcC,

I am very jealous that you got to meet Dr. Cox. I have been doing research on ALS for my NYU research paper, and I have read a ton of studies he has been involved in or has talked about that I almost feel like I know him lol. Plus one of the studies was on the water at Lake Mascoma in NH. My father lives in NH and has ALS and lives near a very disgusting river, so doing research on it is very interesting!

Please keep us posted!

Dae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back