Diagnosis
07/2014
Country
US
State
CO
City
Vail
It has been a bit since I posted to this thread, so here is an update.

The fall colors have been great here. This is not the best fall we have seen, but it is certainly a good one.

Since we were not able to do our fall trip to Yellowstone this year, my two sisters came to visit us here. Due to covid, we were not comfortable having them stay in the house. Instead, they camped at a Forest Service campground less than a mile from our house.

The weather was spectacular for their trip and they were here for the peak colors. We had not seen each other since Covid started, so it was really great to be able to spend time with them.

On their last night we had a huge fire at their campsite. Due to my breathing issues, I have avoided campfires and really miss them. We had a wonderful evening with no wind. We built a very large, hot fire so the smoke would go straight up before spreading out toward me. It worked! I handled the fire well and really enjoyed "camping". After the fire died down, my wife stayed and spent the night at the campground with them while I headed home to my hospital bed. It is great to have a nice campground a short wheelchair ride from the house.

It was a truly wonderful visit.

I took a few days to recover after they left. Then, my wife and I went on some long drives to look at the beautiful aspens in their fall glory. We did a great trip over Independence pass and through Aspen, Colorado. It was spectacular.

We also took a very long driver around the Flat Tops Wilderness Area. This is probably the most spectacular fall color trip I have ever taken. The views were breathtaking.

I am now in recovery mode, recovering from the activities of the last few weeks.

Steve

swalker

Very helpful member
Reason
DX MND
Diagnosis
07/2014
Country
US
State
CO
City
Vail
The fall colors here are slightly past peak, but are still quite beautiful.

Those who have followed my posts for awhile know that we normally spend this part of the fall in Yellowstone and the Tetons, but are not able to this year. So, we have been enjoying the fall colors here.

I went for a short(er) wheelchair ride today of 9 miles. That ride takes me half way up Vail pass. The ride passes through mixed conifers (primarily Lodgepole pine, Engelmann spruce, and some White fir) and aspen. It was a beautiful day with lots of blue sky.

Here are a few pictures from today's ride.

Steve
20211007_142716.jpg
20211007_151513.jpg
20211007_151711.jpg
20211007_151809.jpg

Clearwater AL

Very helpful member
Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
12/2016
Country
US
State
NC
City
Get Real
I’ll check in. Now this only concerns me… it does not mean the same
for any others. Wish is was with cheer with beautiful pictures. Thanks for
the beautiful pics.

I had my third Moderna booster shot. It really nailed me this time.
I was in bed for three days running a temp of 100, 101, 100 and on and
off for three more days. Since then I have lost what little balance I did have.
I’ve lost 9 more pounds. My left hand and left foot look like Halloween
bone skeletons with skin pulled over them.

Again, this is just me… I can corner the rare. How many who read this
forum have had a bout of Tic Douloureur were the nerves that are like
a hand going up the side of your face go bad? I will never forget what
it took to resolve that situation. Years ago I fell and broke my shoulder
and collar bone. They put in a 5” steel pin until all healed in place.
Somehow the pin broke in two and they had to go get it. Now over the
years that collar bone has migrated up against my wind pipe. That’s
more ‘coming attractions’ to correct that. Again, years ago, I ruptured a
disc in the middle of my back (Thorascic T6), the Ortho doc said, “You’d
have to look at a thousand MRIs to see a ruptured disc there.”

There’s more but this is long enough.

Wrote all this to say this… it’s just me! Get your booster shot.

Nikki J

Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
04/2014
Country
US
State
MA
City
Boston
I am sorry you are going through all that Al. I am thinking you must have qualified for a third full dose? The proposed plan ( that I hoping will get approved after next week’s hearings) is for moderna boosters for the non immunocompromised to get a half dose this time. I was pretty sick after dose 2 of moderna ( because I was making lots of antibodies I hope). I think ( hope) the 1/2 dose will be no worse than that.

lisa g

Distinguished member
Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
04/2019
Country
US
State
FL
City
Fort Pierce
I share your sentiments Al. The booster shot kicked my butt, but then again so did the first two.

I have to say the worst reaction I recently had was from the second dose of the pneumonia shot. My whole arm blew up like Popeye on steroids and I developed cellucitis which had me on two different antibiotics. Glad I never have to have another dose of that one.

Clearwater AL

Very helpful member
Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
12/2016
Country
US
State
NC
City
Get Real
Nikki, "Al. I am thinking you must have qualified for a third full dose?"

Yes, through the Wake Forest system. I go to the Wake Forest ALS clinic.
Ann got hers too. She faired a lot better than I did.... but hopes not to
do it again.

I hope I don't have to go through this again in 6 months.

If all the rest of these morons would get vaccinated we'd finally turn
the corner on this... it would help if they'd change the channel from
FoxNews. My opinion.

wmilo

Distinguished member
Forum Supporter
Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
10/2017
Country
US
State
PA
City
Zelienople
Al, I'm also sorry to hear you had such a tough reaction to the booster, and about your collarbone problem.
We will be due soon for a booster (although we did not get Moderna) and would not want that experience. That was a week ago, and I hope you are feeling better.

I'm progressing: all transfers by lift, need help pretty much every meal, etc. We got a van that can handle my PWC, so I'm no longer housebound. Haven't used it yet, but I have clinic next week and expect to then. I feel like this is a very important addition for us because it will allow some recreational travel. :)

DS and DiL will be here for a week visit, with 2-year-old and 11-month-old. Haven't seen them for about 7 months, so the kids will need to get used to us.

We've had a stretch of pleasant weather, with next week getting more Fall-like.

Best to all,

Nikki J

Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
04/2014
Country
US
State
MA
City
Boston
That is wonderful you have family about to visit and also the van. Being able to go places is so important

the weather is still good here as well which is wonderful.