PALS ROLL CALL NEW THREAD (PALS ONLY) [Wednesday or whenever]

It has been a bit since I posted to this thread, so here is an update.

The fall colors have been great here. This is not the best fall we have seen, but it is certainly a good one.

Since we were not able to do our fall trip to Yellowstone this year, my two sisters came to visit us here. Due to covid, we were not comfortable having them stay in the house. Instead, they camped at a Forest Service campground less than a mile from our house.

The weather was spectacular for their trip and they were here for the peak colors. We had not seen each other since Covid started, so it was really great to be able to spend time with them.

On their last night we had a huge fire at their campsite. Due to my breathing issues, I have avoided campfires and really miss them. We had a wonderful evening with no wind. We built a very large, hot fire so the smoke would go straight up before spreading out toward me. It worked! I handled the fire well and really enjoyed "camping". After the fire died down, my wife stayed and spent the night at the campground with them while I headed home to my hospital bed. It is great to have a nice campground a short wheelchair ride from the house.

It was a truly wonderful visit.

I took a few days to recover after they left. Then, my wife and I went on some long drives to look at the beautiful aspens in their fall glory. We did a great trip over Independence pass and through Aspen, Colorado. It was spectacular.

We also took a very long driver around the Flat Tops Wilderness Area. This is probably the most spectacular fall color trip I have ever taken. The views were breathtaking.

I am now in recovery mode, recovering from the activities of the last few weeks.

Steve

The fall colors here are slightly past peak, but are still quite beautiful.

Those who have followed my posts for awhile know that we normally spend this part of the fall in Yellowstone and the Tetons, but are not able to this year. So, we have been enjoying the fall colors here.

I went for a short(er) wheelchair ride today of 9 miles. That ride takes me half way up Vail pass. The ride passes through mixed conifers (primarily Lodgepole pine, Engelmann spruce, and some White fir) and aspen. It was a beautiful day with lots of blue sky.

Here are a few pictures from today's ride.

Steve
20211007_142716.jpg
20211007_151513.jpg
20211007_151711.jpg
20211007_151809.jpg

I’ll check in. Now this only concerns me… it does not mean the same
for any others. Wish is was with cheer with beautiful pictures. Thanks for
the beautiful pics.

I had my third Moderna booster shot. It really nailed me this time.
I was in bed for three days running a temp of 100, 101, 100 and on and
off for three more days. Since then I have lost what little balance I did have.
I’ve lost 9 more pounds. My left hand and left foot look like Halloween
bone skeletons with skin pulled over them.

Again, this is just me… I can corner the rare. How many who read this
forum have had a bout of Tic Douloureur were the nerves that are like
a hand going up the side of your face go bad? I will never forget what
it took to resolve that situation. Years ago I fell and broke my shoulder
and collar bone. They put in a 5” steel pin until all healed in place.
Somehow the pin broke in two and they had to go get it. Now over the
years that collar bone has migrated up against my wind pipe. That’s
more ‘coming attractions’ to correct that. Again, years ago, I ruptured a
disc in the middle of my back (Thorascic T6), the Ortho doc said, “You’d
have to look at a thousand MRIs to see a ruptured disc there.”

There’s more but this is long enough.

Wrote all this to say this… it’s just me! Get your booster shot.

I am sorry you are going through all that Al. I am thinking you must have qualified for a third full dose? The proposed plan ( that I hoping will get approved after next week’s hearings) is for moderna boosters for the non immunocompromised to get a half dose this time. I was pretty sick after dose 2 of moderna ( because I was making lots of antibodies I hope). I think ( hope) the 1/2 dose will be no worse than that.

I share your sentiments Al. The booster shot kicked my butt, but then again so did the first two.

I have to say the worst reaction I recently had was from the second dose of the pneumonia shot. My whole arm blew up like Popeye on steroids and I developed cellucitis which had me on two different antibiotics. Glad I never have to have another dose of that one.

Nikki, "Al. I am thinking you must have qualified for a third full dose?"

Yes, through the Wake Forest system. I go to the Wake Forest ALS clinic.
Ann got hers too. She faired a lot better than I did.... but hopes not to
do it again.

I hope I don't have to go through this again in 6 months.

If all the rest of these morons would get vaccinated we'd finally turn
the corner on this... it would help if they'd change the channel from
FoxNews. My opinion.

Al, I'm also sorry to hear you had such a tough reaction to the booster, and about your collarbone problem.
We will be due soon for a booster (although we did not get Moderna) and would not want that experience. That was a week ago, and I hope you are feeling better.

I'm progressing: all transfers by lift, need help pretty much every meal, etc. We got a van that can handle my PWC, so I'm no longer housebound. Haven't used it yet, but I have clinic next week and expect to then. I feel like this is a very important addition for us because it will allow some recreational travel. :)

DS and DiL will be here for a week visit, with 2-year-old and 11-month-old. Haven't seen them for about 7 months, so the kids will need to get used to us.

We've had a stretch of pleasant weather, with next week getting more Fall-like.

Best to all,

That is wonderful you have family about to visit and also the van. Being able to go places is so important

the weather is still good here as well which is wonderful.

Everyone has been quiet. I hope you are all ok as can be.

things here are all right. The weather is getting cold ( unsurprising I know). I had my moderna booster. As I am not immunosuppressed it was the half dose and my side effects were not bad ( about the same as dose one- dose two was worse). It was much easier to get an appointment this time and the actual appointment was much smoother ( taken on time)

one of my family recently had a breakthrough case of covid. It was mild and they are ok they had had moderna and fall into the “ may” category for boosters but it had not been approved when they got it. Please think about getting a booster if you have not already.

I was thinking the same thing, Nikki. I sure hope some folks check in. I’m still progressing slowly like you (many fewer years, though) but feeling it a little more each week. so it goes.

We are getting some of the colder weather here in N. FL, but I have a little portable heater that I keep next to me on the porch since I love being outside the house, rain or shine.

My wife and I had the Pfizer vaccine so we will probably stick with that booster. We are planning ours next week. Best, Kevin

Checking in, up north for a few months and not enjoying the colder weather. I had my booster back in August. I received the same dosage as the first 2 vaccines and had the same miserable side effects. But I'd do it again to make sure I'm protected. I lost my SIL 2 weeks ago to covid. Unfortunately she would not take the vaccine. I lost a friend of mine on Monday. She was fully vaccinated so you never know.

We have had snow for most of the last week, so I have not been able to get out of the house much. It is finally a nice day today and supposed to be even nicer tomorrow. I look forward to sneaking out for a wheelchair ride sometime!

I got the J&J Covid 19 vaccine in March. I am finally eligible for a booster and received the Moderna booster today. I also got the flu vaccine last week. So, I should be good to go for a little while.

I am still isolating. My respiratory issues are too significant to take any chance with Covid. I sure look forward to when the Covid incidence rate around here is low enough for me to feel comfortable resuming normal activities. We have had a spike in the last two weeks, so I still have to isolate.

Steve

We seem to be on a Booster roll today. We got our shots (Pfizer) yesterday with no severe side effects so far. Because I am a palliative care patient with the local visiting nurses, they were able to administer the vaccine at our house, which was a blessing.

Had a great visit with DS/DiL and grandchildren. They are darling, and we are looking forward to seeing them again around Christmas.

We did use the new van to go to the ALS clinic last week and it performed great. And my CALS did a super job piloting us. (I did help with the navigation.) :)

Beautiful sunny and mid-50s here today. The trees are looking gorgeous.

Best to all,

Great to hear from you, Steve and Bill. Steve, hope you don’t have bad side effects, and Bill, I hope that continues with you as well. How I enjoy hearing about visits from family!

Lisa, I am so sorry about those incredibly sad stories. You had let me know about them previously, and it has really hit me how many of us have had loved ones and friends die from COVID. Hopefully we are coming out of this most recent vicious wave. Best, Kevin

Checking in--we leave for the winter in Tucson in 12 days. Got my Moderna booster yesterday at the VA, no side effects so far. My wife got hers--Pfizer--Monday and felt woozy for a few days. Wishing you all the best, and for those in the north a mild winter.

Ed

Back