Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
TX
Hello. Not yet diagnosed. I have my first appointment this week. Experiencing numbness on face, weakness in left arm and leg and on occasion in the right side too. I have just started experiencing twitches when I lay down. I have waves of nausea throughout the day and am very lightheaded. I feel overall exhausted and ill to the point that I sit most of the time. This all came on within the past month. Does that seem like a lot all at once? Also- I’ve read it takes a long time for a diagnosis. What is required? Thank you!

Hi there-

This link will answer many of your questions and provide you some information on ALS itself: Read Before Posting

What you are reporting is not how ALS starts, so your best bet is to ask your doctor this week what the trouble might be.

Take care

Thank you. And thanks to all of you who take the time to reply to everyone. After reading, I feel better. Still need answers but feel better about ALS. I also failed to mention that every day, I have several occurrences of both of my upper arms getting cold. I hadnt seen much on that either so I’m hopeful for my neurological appt on Wed. Thanks again!

Presuming that the neuro doesn't see anything neurological, I'd return to your PCP or find one that will work you up for systemic illness, which is what all this sounds most like. Postviral syndromes and pregnancy (if applicable) jump to mind.

I appreciate that. I’m 51 so no pregnancy possibilities. :) I’ve not had any viruses that I recall but we shall see. I will say that I’ve paid close attention and taken notes for several days and it does appear that my prevalent symptoms are massive weakness in all limbs, and light weakness in one side of the face. While I can walk, squeeze, do calf raises, etc, I’m shaky when doing so and have to return to sitting or relaxing my hands and arms after doing so. Is it possible to have weakness like this before any failure actually happens? Additional to note- yesterday was an out of nowhere good day with very little weakness. Today is back to feeling very poorly and mostly sitting/lying down. Do symptoms suspend like that in ALS? One final question- with clinical weakness, is it detectable while at rest? Because I have an overall sensation of weakness in all limbs even when sitting. Basically, just feeling overall exhaustion. I do hope for an EMG. Fingers are crossed but do feel your point is well made. I feel “sickly” more than just areas of weakness.

I feel totally fine at rest and it is always surprising to me the things I can not do. I have found with each new loss I repeatedly test myself thinking surely I can do it I just didn’t try hard enough.attending Spectator events like a classical concert or a dance performance give me a chance to feel normal So no pals don’t feel weak we just can’t do things.

Thanks Nikki! I’m honored to get you as a responder. :) Did you experience general weakness or jello-like feeling before you experienced any functional failures? Or do most people experience immediate functional inability? And have you ever heard of bad days followed by good days or does the weakness continue from onset? I hope you are seeing a concert or performance soon!

No. I just fell I still don’t have any sensation of feeling weak as I said. Read the link you were given. And no once failure occurs it doesn’t get better. I feel fine. I just can’t do things. Please follow up with your doctor as advisef

Had a time trying to decide to post this or not. Here goes.

It’s realizing failure (without twitches and or pain) for me, you
go to reach for something above and you realize you can’t
raise on your balls of your feet, you notice climbing stairs
you realize you have to lift your left foot higher and plant it
flat on the step, then in time you find you can’t lift your left
leg, typing you find your left hand will not respond (I now
type this right handed on Word first). I now have a stair lift,
it's so damned slow, wish I could find a lift mechanic that
could make it go much faster.

I could go on with can’t dos… and like Nikki said about at rest.

The debate of weakness first, failure first will go on. Some say
they had twitches first, then weakness before failure, then there’s
the pain before or after.

Maybe I can corner the rare within rare but I had very few twitches
and now really can’t remember the timing there were so few.

But… I realize everyone is different but there’s more common
sequences of how ALS really progresses for most.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back