Not open for further replies.

drick_huka

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
I am a 26 year old male. For the past year I’ve been dealing with muscle twitches all over arms and legs, some times face that get worse and then go away for awhile then come back. For the past month I’ve been experiencing a new onset subtle weakness in my right thumb. Even typing this forum is a weird feeling in my thumb. Generally no pain at all but however I do get discomfort in wrist up my forearm. I have less energy for the gym. And constant anxiety related to thinking I’m developing ALS… I know it’s so rare but obviously not impossible. I have a appointment to get checked out but does this sound like how it started for some of y’all. Thanks!

I would focus more on seeking a therapist or an outlet to relieve your anxiety. The fact that you've been experiencing widespread twitching which comes and goes points away. ALS is progressive and linear, once my mom mentioned symptoms there were never days that she felt "better".

For 4 years now I have dealt with muscle twitches I have seen a doctor about this and They have assured me this is related to caffeine or stress. 5 months ago I have had weakness developing in my right thumb, more of a fatigue feeling when playing video games or texting.( no associated pain) Recently it has become a forearm weakness as well and I find difficulty texting or gaming now. I keep telling myself that ALS is too unlikely for a 26 year old male like myself and not to worry. But about three weeks ago I have noticed tightness in the muscles around my nose and muscles that control my speech and smile. It feels as if I have to put effort in not slurring my words. I have quit all nicotine and caffeine and nothing has improved my symptoms. I try to stay calm but these symptoms I feel trigger anxiety response( previously I’m not anxious whatsoever). There are no days where I feel good. It feels like I’m slowly worsening day after day. I’m tempted to quit my job because I feel like this is so real and affected my mental stability now. Twitches now are mostly in my right arm and legs. I have scheduled appointments for GP and a neurologist finally as I have pushed them off because I have tried to believe that this is nothing as I am only 26 and use to be so healthy. These appointments are next month. But I am curious if this sounds like it is ALS. I am a nurse and have tried to research anything else that it could be and nothing sounds as on point as ALS.

Stop researching. Your conclusions are incorrect -- I would change that to "nothing sounds as off track as ALS" -- and you are only spiraling in your anxiety. Whether new or old, anxiety heightens any unusual physical conditions, whether they mean anything or not.

To take one example, bulbar weakness is not "tightness in the muscles" around your nose and mouth. It's actual changes in speech, impaired swallowing, etc.

For another, fatigue when playing games and texting is a common overuse injury and generally responds to modifying your hand use and targeted exercises. There is zero reason to think of ALS in this context.

If anything, this sounds systemic and post-viral, whether you tested positive for anything or not. Younger people have many asymptomatic COVID infections, for example. If you spend time outdoors in a Lyme tick state, that is another possibility.

Lack of refreshing sleep, dehydration, and/or stress (which most nursing jobs entail at some point) are all possible contributors to/causes of how you feel.

Feel free to check back after your appointments.

Drick..

Let’s see… this twitching thing started when you were 22 years old.

You are now 26 and a licensed nurse, your medical knowledge besides,
your research with Dr. Google ( who is not a licensed physician, can
not physically see you) and the internet has spiraled you into fearing
ALS.

You wrote you are not anxious whatsoever. With all you have
written… it really suggests unrealized denial might be in play here.
Read up on that. We’ve seen it so many times before.

Follow up with your appointments but until then try hard not to read
old threads here and further research on the internet.

It’s the Holiday Season, also try hard to make the best of it you can…
it’s a whole lot different here for CALS and PALS. I’d bet with the
help of your doctors… you’ll see many many more.

Hello all, I made it through the holidays. Still with all the same things going on, still pushing on. Weakness in the face muscles and right arm remain. I have my neuro appointment in 1 week. wondering when this will ever stop. I’ve been meditating and eating very healthy. Anxiety been decreased and have been focusing less on it lately. But still can’t be ignored. I was just reaching out to see what blood work or things I should suggest at my appointment other then the “weakness” and twitching

Hello-

Maybe have a re-read of lgelb's reply to you. Because your symptoms do not point to ALS, you would be wasting your time asking your doctor for tests associated with ruling in/out MND. It would be most fruitful to let them guide the exploration. If you want to assist, be forthcoming about all of your symptoms (write them down if you want to be organized) and not try to direct them towards a specific disease because of your particular fears.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back