Diagnosis
02/2015
Country
IRL
State
Leinster
City
Cavan
Does anyone here use the Giraffe water bottle for drinking fluids hands free?

What does everyone use to drink water when alone with limited arm function?
Looking for ideas please

My wife used something similar at night, a water bag with tube and bite valve. I used a stiff but flexible tie attached to the tube with velcro to position it where she could turn her head and reach it. It was difficult to get in the proper position. It was a lot cheaper than the Giraffe thing which I had never heard of until I saw your post. I think it would have been a much simpler solution to use with it's integrated neck.

We started with WADEO Hydration Bladder Water Reservoir 2L with Hydration Pack Cleaning Kit Tube Insulator Bite Valve Cover from Amazon.

Later, moved to Osprey Hydraulics Water Reservoir / Hydration Bladder (2-3 Liters) also from Amazon.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Kingston. Were you happy with either?
I didn't want to get anything too flexible

We much preferred the Osprey one. The trick is attaching something to the tube to let you position it. Google Nite Ize Original Gear Tie, 32-Inch. I had something similar. I used pieces of velcro to attach the drinking tube to to the tie. I used large safety pins to stabilize the tube assembly. The drinking bag hung on the bed frame behind her foam wedge. I secured the tube to the wedge and then with trial and error bent it up to where she could get at the bite valve. If you can afford the Giraffe one, maybe it would be the way to go as it is designed to solve the positioning problem. If I'd known about it I would have tried it.

Again, hope this helps. Ask more questions if you need and I'll try to help. All the best to you.

Thanks for your help.
Do you mind if I ask you did the person you cared for ever have problems with anxiety or sleeping?

She often had problems sleeping, but not with anxiety.

Thanks. Did you find a solution to the sleeping issues? I have problems lying down and I also get restless

Back