Getting bipap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kristina, if it's set up properly, you shouldn't hate it. I wouldn't try it while zonked out at night but as others have said, try it when you're screen-watching, reading, something distracting where you can kind of fall into it. That will also help you see if it is set right to work with your breathing rate/shape of breaths/volume or if it needs adjustment.

Great you have it Kristina!

Do be kind to yourself as you adjust. Remember it should be helping you so if you try it for a short time each day for a week or so and it's not comfortable, try asking Laurie here about the settings in case it needs tweaking. But it's got to feel weird from the start. I think that is why it is suggested that you be watching some tv or something that keeps your mind occupied while you start with it for short periods. Sometimes the more we think about something the worse it is ... :)

What the ladies said. ;)
Distraction like TV is good. You'll get the hang of it and your body will learn that it's helping.
I told my boyfriend that he could make that mask his safe place. So whenever he didn't feel like talking to visitors anymore, he could put on the mask and be outta there. Started a pattern where he routinely fell asleep with visitor background action.

I practiced first by wearing the mask when watching TV. If you do this, try it first with the mask alone for about 30 minutes. Then hook it up to the machine.

There are two things to get used to— the mask and the machine. Make sure the mask is not on too tightly. You want it on the loosest fit where it doesn’t leak or slide off. You can tell if it’s leaking by a hissing sound around the mask. If you have a full face mask, try sliding it up and down your nose.

The next trick is trying to breathe on the machine. If it feels like too strong a blast of pressure accompanying your inhalation’s, then the IPAP min may need to be lowered. If the machine keeps trying to trigger an inhalation before you have finished your last exhalation, then the backup rate may need to be lowered.

There may be a lot of trial and error before it feels comfortable. Good luck!

I totally freak freaked out the first day and ripped it off. Found I did better with nose pillows than other masks.. Could not put it on without Marijuana at first so I would take the loraaapm firs. I started with four hours at night and felt better almost immediately

keep trying, you'll figure it out

thanks everyone. I wanted the nasal mask but then air kept pushing through my lips even though i was closing them. so i had to go with the full mask, but it was still pretty small and not too bad. i was ok with the mask, it was more the pressure push thing while breathing felt unnatural and uncomfortable, and i felt i could not swallow without my ears getting pressurized

From what you have said your IPAP min and/or target volume (Vt) may be set too high. Very few PALS cannot wear a nasal mask and your ears should not pop even in the beginning. That said, if you are congested due to allergies, consider a nasal steroid.

ok thank you, im not congested at all. She told me the volume was ordered by my doctor was for 300, and that it's based on my height/weight/age. Can I turn it down myself or do I need to talk to pulmonary about it? assuming it continues to be uncomfortable

Data first. Yes, you should always know how to change settings. It's not a set and forget thing, and even when all is good, episodes of choking, coughing, illness can necessitate real-time adjustment.

You can PM me your height/weight/age if you want to double-check the Vt, but 300 is pretty low.

But remember, it's not just how much air the machine moves -- it's how it does so (trigger, cycle, IPAP range, etc.) That's why I would first look at the screen while it's on, to see what the data are telling you. Then settings can be tweaked if needed.

Kristina, does your unit have wireless data transfer to where your provider can make
adjustments for you? Mine does.

On the nasal, if you keep your tongue up on the roof of your mouth you won't get
lip blow by. Once I got used to mine if I do a treatment during the day watching TV
I doze off. Hang in there. :)

Last edited:
igelb im 5'0, 105 lbs, 33 years old. I should add my ears are very sensitive to pressure. I can't drive with the windows down or my ears hurt badly, flying messes with my ears etc. Im not sure if that would play a role here?

clearwater, ill try that with my tongue. im not sure about data transfer

Kristina, if I may bring just a touch of common sense to this...

If for some reason your unit is not wireless, your provider has a phone. I'm sure
he or she would gladly walk you through any questions, problems or adjustments
rather than getting advice second hand from here. Not to offend anyone.

My experience with past interventions was that they are great at setting it up but not necessarily how to use it and tweak it daily. For example the doctor who put in my feeding tube has no clue about tips and tricks for daily use and maintenance. I was already planning to discuss with my doctor (I go back in next week). But i have a feeling I will get invaluable experienced user support/troubleshooting info here.

Kristina, as you wrote...

"My experience with past interventions was that they are great at setting it up but not necessarily how to use it and tweak it daily. For example the doctor who put in my feeding tube has no clue about tips and tricks for daily use and maintenance."

"they are great at setting it up but not necessarily how to use it."

"For example the doctor who put in my feeding tube has no clue about tips and tricks for daily use and maintenance."

I am truly sorry you have experienced that. It's not been that way for me concerning
my unit.

I hope you find out that your unit is wireless.

Just to share my experience....

I received my BiPAP unit a few weeks before my first pulmonologist appointment. The initial settings were made by the RT who provided the equipment. To change the settings on my machine, the pulmonologist’s office has to fax orders to the equipment provider, and then the equipment provider changes the settings remotely.

After I saw the pulmonologist, she increased the IPAP to a ridiculously high level, to “decrease my work of breathing.”

Well I did not tolerate that big increase in pressure at all. My ear drums were popping with each inspiration. This occurred on a Thursday night, and the pulmonologist was off that Friday, so it wasn’t until Monday that I could get the settings changed. I went 4 nights without using the machine.

Subsequently, our Laurie ran me through how to change the settings. I made a few very minor tweaks which improved my comfort using the machine. I explained later to the Pulmonologist the changes I had made, why I made them, and that I wanted to work with her going forward. She seemed fine with that.

So I think it is important to at least know how to adjust your own settings. That was my experience. Your mileage may vary....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back