10/2022
Country
AU
State
VC
City
Melbourne
Hello everyone,
Me again, I don’t want to bombard but this is by far the best place I have found to answer my questions.
I’ve limb onset but have more recently noticed weird twitching on the sides of my nose and nostrils as well as between my eyes. Is this a bulbar symptom?
As well as having to speak slower to properly articulate lately, I’ve noticed every so often when I yawn (which is very often), I get a painful cramp inside my throat - is this common?
I’m petrified of bulbar symptoms because for me it signals even more progression and even more taken away from me.

Thank you beautiful people x

It would not be uncommon for bulbar symptoms to begin about a year after limb onset, but I'll leave your questions to those with more typical bulbar experience. I'll note that facial twitching can relate to electrolyte imbalances, sleep, and/or hydration.

Since most PALS have some level of bulbar compromise eventually, I would look to stay ahead of things (like doing voice banking or looking at communication options available for your particular phone or laptop) rather than waiting till the last minute. This gives you more control over your day to day, which may reduce your fears.

Fear can keep you from moving forward in your life, whether you have ALS or not. We all need and have some. Just don't let it take over what you still are and can still feel, accomplish, and plan.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back