Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
EG
State
NA
City
Zagazig
2018 I had an overdose of steroids then I developed some vibrations in my right leg.I had a brain MRI .there was an indicator of Als .
Neurologists at first confirmed it's just somatization although I had hyperreflexia but they related that to anxiety.For twenty months things have been getting worse; weakness got to my right hand and arm generalized fasiculations,severe neck weakness( can't hold my head up) .tongue fasiculations ,dysphagia,difficulty speaking (not noticed by others ).. 8 months ago another neurologist said it's either Als or somatization and stated I had mild right weakness..I was afraid to do the emg and waited .. Afew months later I found out sever right leg atrophy that can't be considered normal asymmetry .I didn't do emg after the severe leg atrophy it's almost 100% Als ... Now that I'm sure it's Als I have severe depression and insomnia can I take antidepressants or will it affect the progression ?..Is it possible that the steroids caused brain toxicity and Als?

Consulting a forum full of strangers on the internet should not be used as an alternative to proper in person medical care. If you are refusing to get an emg, any speculation about ALS is moot. You are positive you have ALS, but are refusing to get the one test that can help actually clarify that for you.

Uncontrolled steroid use/misuse can cause all manner of problems, so a doctor is the person to consult and not random folk online. I recommend you also seek counseling in order to help you work through what appears to be severe health anxiety and to help identify what may be physical and/or what is possibly exacerbating underlying physical issues.

What kind of steroids and what did you take them for?

.prednisone 20 ml for a month for slight anosmia .in addition to vitamin b shots and zinc tabs and sulbutiamine ( took it by mistake) ..prednisone and sulbutiamine increase glutamate ..could that be the cause of Als?

Consulting a forum full of strangers on the internet should not be used as an alternative to proper in person medical care. If you are refusing to get an emg, any speculation about ALS is moot. You are positive you have ALS, but are refusing to get the one test that can help actually clarify that for you.

Uncontrolled steroid use/misuse can cause all manner of problems, so a doctor is the person to consult and not random folk online. I recommend you also seek counseling in order to help you work through what appears to be severe health anxiety and to help identify what may be physical and/or what is possibly exacerbating underlying physical issues.
I sought medical advice but they were contradictory ..some required emg others asserted I don't need it .I no longer know what's right or wrong .

No, Prednisone has not been linked to ALS. It has not been proven that increasing glutamate triggers ALS. Talk to the neurologist about your concerns. If they think they are realistic, they will suggest an EMG. Until then, speculating is only increasing your anxiety.

I have been to a neurologist .He detected the right calf atrophy .I had hyperreflexia ...He ordered an emg and a brain MRI although I had two MRIs two years ago ..He didn't tell me about his suspicions .I don't know why he wants a new MRI ...when I asked him about ALS he said he never saw anyone my age with ALS!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
No sense worrying until you get the EMG. The odds are in your favor. It’s good to get this checked out. You want to know what you have, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back