00/0000
Country
US
State
IL
City
Chicago
Hi Everyone,

29 y/o male here. I have done my best to avoid posting by re-reading the “Read before posting” nearly everyday to reassure myself, however with my symptoms and how they haven’t been getting better, I’m reaching out to get some input on what’s been going on.

November 14th: I was typing at work and noticed my left pointer finger twitching up and down occasionally. This lasted for a few days and I had attributed to overuse from too much time on the computer. There was some tightness between my thumb and pointer finger when trying to move my thumb as well after the twitching episode. The finger twitching eventually went away and so did the tightness. Shrugged it off and didn’t think much about it.

November 20th: I began to feel a tightness/soreness in my upper right hamstring, just below my butt. This came out of nowhere, and I could not explain what caused this. A few days later on November 22nd, my left hamstring began to feel the same way. It was sore, as if I had just worked out even though I hadn’t. Once again, I wasn’t too worried, and shrugged it off thinking it was from sitting too much at work or sleeping in a weird position. The soreness is right where your legs would be as you’re sitting on the edge of an office chair or driving a car.

November 26th: My right calf began twitching non-stop all day when I am sitting down and the muscle is relaxed. I have never experienced muscle twitching like this before, so this was a bit of a shock to me. The twitching, combined with muscle soreness in my hamstring, is when I started down the rabbit hole of trying to figure out what’s been going.

November 29th: The twitching begins in my left leg now, and is on/off throughout the day between both legs when at rest, from my upper hamstrings, calf’s, and quads. My calf/hamstring muscles feel sore/tight at times, especially in the evening before bed. I can still make it up stairs no problem, stand/sit no problem, and go about my day to day tasks. I know in the “read before posting” it is very clear I shouldn’t be concerned - this is not failure.

December 5th (Today): The muscle soreness is still present, hasn’t gotten worse, but hasn’t gotten better. There are times during the day when I don’t even notice it (often when I’m busy at work and my mind is on other things), but then there are other times when I’m walking and it feels like my legs are jello and am afraid I’m going to fall. The twitching hasn’t stopped, and has migrated to other parts on occasion. I’ll still get the twitching through both legs (not nearly as much as before, but still when relaxed most often in the evening), and most recently just above my left kneecap, left side of my back behind shoulder blade, and I’ve felt it a few times in both triceps as well.

Thinking out load here: I shouldn’t be worried (Based on the “rules before posting” thread) correct? The twitching and random leg muscle soreness just really throws me off, I’ve never had something like this before and all of sudden BAM, it’s there. In a matter 3.5 weeks both legs are sore, twitching appears throughout nearly my entire body.

I haven’t had any major lifestyle/diet changes, and am trying to wrap my head around what is going on. The random muscle tightness/soreness in my legs is unexplainable to me, and more concerning (to me) is the random muscle twitching. Any thoughts?

Hello, and sorry you found yourself consulting with dr google about twitches (a notoriously bad and alarmist diagnostician) and that led you here. It sounds like you already know you do not show the classic symptoms that come with ALS though and are kind of working things out "out loud" on a forum so people can provide you some reassurance. A recommendation to visit with the doctor first for an exam if you are worried about any physical issues. They can provide you proper feed back based on their observations with a physical exam.

Derek, first step... copy and print out your post above and see your PCP
so you don't forget anything when you do. Do some research on
Health Anxiety. Again, start with seeing PCP.

Thanks for the responses shiftkicker and Clearwater. I did end up scheduling an appointment with my PCP and was able to get in with him on the 7th. I explained exactly what I listed above. He did a general exam and noted all motor functions & coordination are intact, also noted that all reflexes (Achilles, Patellar, Bicep, Tricep, Brachioradialis) are normal.

He ordered bloodwork that I’ll be completing this week, and also ordered an EMG/NCV for my left and right calf. The EMG isn’t scheduled until the middle of January however, wishing that was sooner. The muscle “soreness” has nearly gone away completely, but the twitching is still prevalent in both legs when muscles are at rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back