Not open for further replies.

Tommyb

Reason
Other
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
IL
Hi, first of all - thank you for reading this. It means a lot and I appreciate it.
I’m a 27 yo girl. Usually ok. I’ll be honest and say I’m dealing with health anxiety and I’ve been dealing with the fear of ALS but symptoms which I had, stopped or come and go.
Lately I feel like my face got weaker - only the left side. I keep biting my tounge and cheek (not painful and not so strong) most of the time feels like my cheek gets caught up between my teeth or I kinda bite my younger when I speak or eat. Not all the time, but happens a lot..
I’m very worried. I tested myself at home in front of a mirror I don’t see any difference but the only thing is that I can puff both cheeks, and perfectly puff the left one, but I kinda can’t puff the right one - I can but it takes effort and feels different from the other side. when I do it without any effort it puffs the other one in the same time. I can whistle, do a kiss posture, smile, stick my tongue out etc

I’ve been dealing with this anxiety for a while now, but never had such specific symptoms. I used to feel like I’m talking weird but nobody noticed. Felt like my muscles act differently but they really didn’t..
On top of that I can say That I feel kind of pressure in the left side (the weaker feeling side) from my eye to my teeth. I don’t know if it has anything to do with it
I’m really worried. Does this sound to someone like ALS? If not, what else can it be?

Thank you in advance.

Hello-

We ask that people read this first: Read Before Posting

In it, it answers many of the questions that bring people here. It also advises people visit with a doctor first if they are concerned about symptoms.

I will admit, your post makes it very clear you struggle with health anxiety and it's running away on you- hypervigilance of every sensation, lots of self testing and examining yourself in the mirror, etc. You don't actually list anything that would make a doctor concerned about ALS. Perhaps it would be better if you went and got an exam and explained what you are worried about to a doctor who can provide you direct feedback based on their observations of your physical state.

With regards to what it might be? That is up to your doctor to help you figure out. This forum provides basic information for those wondering, but is primarily a support group for those directly affected by a diagnosis of ALS/MND. We aren't really a general health forum.

Please take care.

Feeling pressure, weakness and speech problems that only you notice is a pretty classic sign that your body is trying to tell you that it's overburdened, but not necessarily ill at all.

Many people can do different things with different sides of their face, one arm, one leg, and so on. We are not symmetrical. If you do have facial weakness, something like past COVID is a pretty common reason.

Sleep, stress, anxiety, diet and hydration, exercise and mindfulness are all worth looking at. A counselor can help. There is no reason to worry about ALS or anything like it. But ShiftKicker is right -- see a primary clinician (a nurse practitioner might be more your speed) who can baseline your strength and rule out something treatable.

Best,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back