Anna K

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
UK
Hi!

My name is Anna Kennedy I am a Product Design Engineering student at the University of Glasgow going into my final year. My final year project brief is to design anything that solves a problem!

My partner is a carer for someone with Parkinson’s, and from listening to the issues that arise during their daily life- I wondered if I could design something to help with the day to day living of people with ALS/motor neuron disease/Parkinson's etc.

I was hoping to gain some insights on what are the challenges that those affected face day to day that a product could help with. I have seen items such as cutlery for better grip, the kettle tipper etc. If there is a product that you currently use, but you feel it could be designed better, that is also really useful information.

But more wider than that if anyone is a carer to those affected, what are some issues that YOU personally face, rather than your loved one, that a product could be useful for, to help with being a carer.

My partner said the product he would like me to create is a more elegant cup that doesn't use a straw/doesn't look childish/ can help him blend in more at social occasions and is suitable for drinking alcoholic beverages. His Papa currently uses regular glass and simply sips the wine/ or other beverage from the top level. When he can't sip anymore as the liquid level is too low someone nearby him tops him up- so his independence suffers. I would love to know other perspectives on drinking as I believe there could be a more elegant solution out there.

Any feedback/ ideas would be very useful for me- even just a simple line!

Many thanks,
Anna

I want an adjustable power headrest for my power wheelchair. Something with about 4 inches of travel that can be run off the 24v power wheelchair and controlled via Bluetooth and have an inching mode so it can be moved in small steps. Something modular that could be added to most chairs

Thank you Jimi for your reply - I will note that down and do some research into it!

Hi Jimi, just seen what you mean. So with the current headrests are they not adjustable by themselves and only just attached onto the chair? Is there any other issues with the headrest that you have?

cutlery for better grip - i have one of these but since i cant rotate it, it just drags the spoon flat on the plate. Something that allows variable roation would be a big improvement.

1664377058446.png

Also, headrests are adustable for someone standing next to the wheelchair and using an allen wrench. The previous post is asking for something useable by the person sitting in the chair.

As far as I know there are no power adjustable headrests. As you recline you end up looking at the ceiling. A small linear actuator would allow a few inches of travel and would be very helpful. I have a power headrest on my recliner and use it all the time. All the way back for trach dressing change and forward to different angles depending on the amount of tilt and recline.

There are retractable headrests for vehicle driving made by companies like Electronic Mobility Controls, but they are, as far as I know, not moveable in degrees. Maybe these could be repurposed somehow since this would be on a separate PWC actuator anyway.

Ok, I'm thinking big, but we all can be dreamers. Right? Within the past two weeks, I started using a Hoyer lift and a power wheelchair. It would be nice if they made power chairs with some type of winch and extension bar that could be used the same way a Hoyer Lift does. My second idea is another hybrid. I've always used a bidet since I was diagnosed. A few months ago I started using a shower chair. If there was a customized shower chair that could be used with a bidet, that would solve a lot of issues.

Thank you for your reply! Really great ideas. I am going to be going down the wheelchair route in general for my topic so will bear this in mind during my analysis and research and try to find out more about the topic and I had not considered it!

Thank you lgelb! I had a look at them- they are very useful for the headrest topic and I will look into them further. From what I understand are they buttons for driving? I can't see anywhere if it moves?

Link to your survey here for people who wish to provide some more feedback:

Anna, the EMC headrest retracts and returns to its original position, if that's what you mean, so I would count that as movement. If you look at the page entitled Power Headrest Systems on their site, the three versions of the headrest (no switch, one ability switch, six switches) are laid out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back