09/2016
Country
US
State
WA
City
Shelton
Hello Again,

Can someone point me to a thread/post/something with a description of the various acronyms and terminology used here that may be unfamiliar to newbies? Examples: PEG, trilogy, pvs, and many more.

Regards,
Ed

The Equipment and other stickies have some of them. Not sure what pvs is? Chally typed pvc once when he meant FVC (forced vital capacity, a measure of lung function, the amount of air that you can exhale after taking a deep breath, that is part of the recommendation to start BiPAP of some kind, the Trilogy being a popular portable one).

Ask anything, and also the search function at the top may help, especially if you order the results by date.

Hi, All:

Just thought I'd get this ball rolling. I looked up a few acronyms and terms I was unfamiliar with and listed them down below. The list is far from complete and could use some additions, as well as editing for the things I fat-fingered or just plain got wrong.

ALS - Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (also known as Lou Gehrig's Disease)

BPAP, BiPAP - Bilevel Positive Airway Pressure; a portable ventilator machine producing 2-level airflow; a majority of PALS patients will eventually experience difficulty breathing and can thus use BPAP machines, especially for sleep

CALS - Caregiver for person with ALS

CPF - Cough Peak Flow

Dx - diagnosis

FVC - Forced Vital Capacity (lung function test)

Gait belt - device used to transfer people from one position to another; customarily made out of cotton webbing and a durable metal buckle on one end; worn around a patient's waist

LTMV - Long Term Mechanical Ventilation

MND - Motor neurone disease (or Motor neuron disease); the most common MND is ALS

NIV - Non-Invasive Ventilation

PALS - Person with ALS

PFT - Pulmonary function test

PWC - Powered Wheel Chair

Rollator - Rolling or wheeled walker

RT - respiratory therapist (?)

Transfer board - see Transfer Boards | Patient Transfer | Sliding Boards | Mobility Assistance | Patient Shifter for definition

Regards,
Ed

Hi, All:

Just thought I'd add a couple more items.

MDA - Muscular Dystrophy Association; dedicated to curing muscular dystrophy, ALS and related diseases

OT - Occupational therapy/therapist

PT - Physical therapy/therapist

Regards,
Ed

Hi, All:

Adding a few more items.

ABGs - Arterial Blood Gasses

AFOs - Ankle Foot Orthotics; braces that keep the foot at a right angle to the ankle to prevent tripping

PEG - Percutaneous Endoscopic Gastrostomy (through the skin, into the GI tract, hole in the stomach)

SCD - Sequential Compression Device; treats dependent edema; e.g. leg sleeves, boots, or wraps connected to a pump which inflates and deflates to help pump the blood along

TED hose - ThromboEmbolism-Deterrent hose, used to support the venous and lymphatic drainage of the leg

Trilogy - a large volume controlled BiPAP equivalent; portable ventilator machine

Regards,
Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back