New? Introduce Yourself - Say Hello

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Missi. It might be a bit late but is there a support group near you. You don't have to have ALS yourself to go for support. Check with the ALSA chapter nearest you. Your family really has had bad luck with this disease and I wish I could give you a magic answer to help make it better. We don't have all the answers here but we try to help each other just by talking and listening. Hopefully someone can jump in and offer some advice. Hang in there. We're here for you. AL.

hello

I was dignosed offically in the Spring, Still making adjustments and trying to decide on walking devices. I had a cane, not enough. Now I have a walker, still falling! I can't walk to far because my foot turns in so bad. I had a brace, but it doesn't really fit anymore because my leg turn. Is it time for a wheelchair? or should I keep on walking? I am 47 and trying to turn over my buisness to a new perosn and make living adjustments. I think when I can get these things under control, then my quaility of life will improve. Right now I cry alot for no apparent reason. This is a tough disease.

Thoughts about bad days

Having bad days? What's that? Facts verses what my friends see:

Just a THOUGHT When friends or family ask how you doing?

Oh just great, Sure I'm dying but everything is fine, wonderful, and how about you. Ever feel like asking someone that? Don't answer.

I know how you feel. We all go through this. Some get mad at the world, God, friends, family , everybody and just make themselves a pain in the butt basically. You get to chose how YOU will react.

I usually try to put on my "I'm ok your ok face" when around others. I try as much as possible considering all that may be happening to have a positive approach and outlook to live every day to it's fullest. And it's amazing how many people believe I'm doing great, when inside I'm ? who knows. It changes all the time. Some days I do not know from one minute to the next how I'm dealing with this, it's overwhelming. Then other days I'm managing it very well.

I do that mostly to help my loved ones, to be a source of hope for others, yet like tonight I can't sleep because of pain, spasms, and having a pity party, but no one came to the party.

Well maybe God came. I think he understands when I get in these moods, swings, bad times, and just have to let it out and vent. I laid in bed crying for awhile, but could not sleep so got online instead.

But somewhere deep in my heart I know God loves me and you, and this will work out, I will make it through with God's help and strength. After it is all over I will be with him forever, no pain, no fears, no mood swings, no spasms, no pills, finally complete PEACE, believe me it will be worth it all, to finally see my lost loved ones and walk in the presence of Jesus Christ.

That is my rock that I hold onto, to get thru the lows, and to make me truly believe I WILL BE ALRIGHT THIS DAY. Not tomorrow, next week, next month, just this one day.

I can only live ONE DAY at a time and make the absolute most of that day to help myself and others. There is no second trip around. This is it folks.

Do you have anything to use as your rock? Your strength? To get you through this.

Have you given thought to how God fits into your life? Now might be a very good time. You have some time left to consider it, before it's too late. Please, I'm serious, God really does love you and He said if anyone comes to me I will in no way cast them out. I respect your choice, but remember you will live with it forever.

I feel your pain, may God Bless and keep you and I pray you stay on the high mountain top instead of the valley.
AL

MtPockets said:
To give you an idea of what happened with me:

I started with fasciculations, atrophy (wasting) and weakness. over 2 years ago and just chocked it up to no exercise and old age, (59). It progressed to full muscle spasms that I call "Charley Horses", at least in the south we call them that. I began to lose muscle tissue due to constant muscle spasms, my CPK count would go very high (6000) and I would stop urinating. My family doc said the creatine cpk was blocking my kidneys and would put me in hospital and flush out my system with high flows of saline solution from IV bottles, until the cpk came down to acceptable levels, 250-350. The spasms never stopped only got worse over time. Was in and out of hospital about 5 times for this flush routine over 2 year period, when I was referred to a wonderful neurologist.

By this time was spending lot of time in wheelchair due to loss of balance in leg muscles and weakness. My neuro ran the nerve conduction study and then the emg. The technician left the room to go into another part of the hospital to get the doctor to look at my emg. My Neurologist ran the emg all over again, due to terrible results in all muscles from the chest down. She immediately ordered a biopsy of large thigh muscle, and after 4 weeks of extensive testing and sending to another lab for confirmation, she gave my the ALS DX. She was 3rd doc that said I MIGHT have it, but first to run the biopsy.

My Neuro also ordered a swallow test that showed the left half of my esophagus is paralyzed. I have some trouble talking at times but if I take it slow can make it alright for now. My main trouble with swallowing is with pills, they have a tendency to go the wrong way. And just went to see Doc about feeding tube due to swallowing getting worse. I also am on a Bi-Pap due to losing 30% of lung capacity due to diaphragm not working 100%.

I don't know if my history helps you or not, but seems mine started from the bottom and worked it's way up, others start right at the top. There are just so many variations it's hard to get a handle on the DX.

I hope and pray you do not have ALS, and all works out for the best for you, but just in case it is ALS, try to prepare yourself for anything. I know it's hard we have all been there. You are not alone. Feel free to come back here for support or questions anytime.
God Bless
AL

:?:

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. I am going to do the best I can everyday! Spiritually, mentally, and physically.:)

Your very welcome

I hope it helps. All we can do is try to support one another.
God Bless
AL

One Day Well Lived..

Dear Missi, You have my deepest sympathy. I can only imagine the pain & devastion you're feeling. You have lost so much to ALS. But you must not let it rob you of today. You mention 3 children, & they need their mother. When my diagnosis came, I cried & screamed & beat my fists against the wall. I CALLED out to God (it's ok to be angry-He can take it). Just don't get stuck in the anger or it will become bitterness which will ruin your life & the lives of those you love & need so much right now.
When we lost our 19-year-old son, I thought I couldn't go on, but I had 2 other children who needed me. After a while, I drew strength from David's memory. I knew all the tears & grief in the world wouldn't bring him back & wouldn't be what he wanted for me. So it was chin up, chest out, get back in the game!
Some day, when my journey is over, I not only want to hear Jesus say, "Well done, good & faithful servant," I want to feel David's arm around my shoulder saying, "You did good, Mom!"
Live, love & laugh. Return to the things that once brought you joy. Learn to take delight in little blessings. Do not look at all the tomorrows. Each day will hold its own grace. "His mercies are new every morning."
Your Dad is cheering you on. You have unseen friends who care & are reaching out to you. Give yourself permission to be happy in spite of your circumstances. A great big hug from Mollye & my husband, reading over my shoulder, says he knows how you feel.

Hello everyone,
My name is Shelia and my husband was diagnosed with Sporadic ALS in March 2003.
I would like to say thanks to the creators of this page. Also want to comment after reading the threads that everyone here seems so supportive.
I can tell this page will be a blessing to me.Once again thank yall so much.
LittleHeart

Hi everyone,

I have been browsing this site for a few days now and have been inspired. I want to thank everyone for the kindness and camaraderie expressed. I personally find that I have to live one day one step at a time. I truly believe that I have been chosen to play the cripple in God's plan for this life. I am truly blessed. I have wonderful loving caring family and friends. I have found this website with so many loving and caring people. What more could a man want. I am so sorry to read of the grief suffered by those caretakers that have lost their PALS. But we must remember life is a gift and we have God to thank for whatever he provides. May God Bless and keep all of you.

Your friend in suffering,
Rich

Thank you Rich

I could not have said it better myself. Welcome to one of the worse clubs on earth. But at least we know we are not alone. I agree I think God has chosen a few of us for this as our last mission on earth. May we somehow be a blessing to all we can reach and share his love for them.
God Bless You,
Big Al ( figured I'd change my sig so no one would confuse me with other AL)
:-D

I'll let you have that one but some of my friends used to call me Big Al the Fire Guy. You could be MT as well. Call yourself whatever you want. Just hope they don't call you late for dinner. Been up at the beach and then over to the lake for 5 days. Missed this place though.

Glad you got a chance to get away AL

Hope you had a good time on your trip. It's nice to get away for awhile. I have one planned for this week, but may have to cancel since one of my sons went in the hospital last night. they have no idea what is going on with him, heart, arteries, blood clots?
He said he started seeing beautiful colors falling from the sky like leaves and 20 minutes later by the time they had him in emerg room, he did not know who he was or where he was. BP keeps going up, down, won't stabilize. Of course they are running all kinds of tests on him.
He kind of came back to himself after they gave him some medicine and said he remembered the colors, like he was blind, but did not remember trip to hospital or anything else.
We are hoping and praying they find out what is wrong and he gets better. He is a deputy sheriff.
God Bless,
Big AL

God bless you Mt. I hope your son gets better rapidly. I can relate to heart trouble and the lights was probally from lack of oxygen or at least that what it was when it happend to me.
I will be praying for speedy recovery for him.
Best wishes and Prayers
LittleHeart

Update on MT son's condition

:cry: They are still running test, but believe he may have had an blood clot, tia, or stroke. He talking better and feeling better except tired. Hopefully it was just his blood pressure threw off small tia or something. We should know something this morning.
He was laying in bed with his sons and they looked at him and his hands were up in the air like he was feeling something. One of them asked him what is wrong dad, no answer, hey dad what is wrong, he said can't you see the simpsons (cartoon) are all over the room and look like towels, and then he began to see colors that he described as rose petals falling all over different colors, and then he doesn't remember anything else until he woke up in er. He's about 37 and has had high blood pressure for awhile. When he got to hospital he did not know who he was, where he was, or how he got there. Once they got his bp down somehow began to get more clear headed. He is still in hospital under observation and having all kinds of tests run. If you believe in the power of prayer, please lift him up for us and agree for him to get well.
God knows we have had our share of bad news here lately, but I thank God he is still alive.
God Bless you and thanks
Big AL (Mtpockets):cry:

Hey Big Al. Tell him we're all pulling for him in our own little ways. AL.

Update on Mt Son

Good news my son went home from the hospital yesterday. They believe he had TIA due to really high Blood Pressure. His low number was like 135. So after all the tests he is on a serious diet and bp meds and doing well for now. I appreciate everyone's thoughts and prayers. This gave me a good scare. I would hate to have to bury one of my sons when I'm dying myself. Got enough stress without that.
God Bless,
Big AL

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back