Needed - Permobil F5 VS

Sjcarey

Reason
CALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
Needed a Permobil F5 VS. Current chair is barely running and too old to fix. If you know of one please contact me. There is no insurance coverage, so it will be a cash purchase.

The F5 VS is readily available on ebay. I occasionally see them locally on craigslist.

The listings on ebay seem to go for close to $15,000, with a few exceptions closer to $5,000 to $10,000.

When buying a used chair, I encourage you to pay close attention to the total miles on the chair (I aim for less than 50 miles, but bought my Permobil F5 [non standing] with 216 miles on it).. This will give you an indication of how much life might be left. Also, consider the state of the batteries and whether the chair has the seating components that you need. You can easily spend a few thousand dollars on batteries, seating components, etc.

Also, be aware that the F5 VS has the standing wheels located where they get in the way when going over bumps and small curbs. On Permobil's previous model (C500 VS), the standing wheels were attached to the legs, which meant they could be readily moved out of the way when going over obstacles.

I decided to pass on the F5 VS and got a non-standing F5. It is a great chair and I really enjoy it.

Also, be aware that Permobil had a model change around the 2019 time frame. When looking for a used wheelchair, be sure to understand the differences between the version 1 (pre mid 2019) and the version 2 (post 2019).

Steve

Have you checked with your ALSA or MDA chapter for a loaner while you look? Also, besides eBay, I'd look at local media like OfferUp, NextDoor, Facebook groups for your area, Reddit, etc. and don't be shy about posting your needs. There are definitely power chairs out there that are not being used, that people don't know how to offload so they stay somewhere.

Last edited:
Back