Hanar

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
DE
Hello and thank you for this forum.

I´m from germany but german forums are often very unfriendly :-( so I hope it is okay to post here.

My wife has muscular problems. Twitching, Tremor(not always) but often muscular pains. She is at a neurologist since last year. The first tests were okay. The electromyographie was normal except they had to lay on a higher electricity on the left side.
The twitching is often if she is going to sleep.

She has good and bad days. Sometimes she is too weak to carry a cup and sometimes there is nothing. She can stand, walk and is doing her Sports.
She has a normal weight. She has lost no weight.

Her hands are very thin that you can see the vains. I sometimes joke around and say: "You have the hands of emperor Palpatine."
She is 42.

The neurologist ordered a MRI of the head and the whole spine. The whole spine was okay. We have an appointment on friday with the neurologist. They told her about the whole spine on the phone.

She had a heavy migraine attack and took Triptane pills. She took them from Thursday until Saturday. On moday she had a urine test at her work. Today she got the results. The creatinin value was too low. Normal is >60 and she had 39. I read muscular atropy can cause that.
She is doing her sports one time a weak and is walking to her workplace.

I´m so afraid that this is a sign for ALS begining. Please forgive me, I´m an Autist and I`m afraid of loosing her. :-(

I forgot. The bloodvalues were okay too

Muscular dystrophy which has been associated with low urine creatinine is not ALS nor does it lead to ALS

Low urine creatinine can also be caused by a number of other things including poor nutrition and medications. I don’t know if triptans are one of them but triptans definitely are known to affect kidneys/ renal function

Fluctuating between extreme weakness and fine and able to do sport does not sound like ALS either. When you see the neurologist don’t focus on ALS present the symptoms and ask what is wrong.

Thank you very much for your answer.

She walked around a big sea today (maybe around 1,8 miles). She felt weak but it goes. I just hope for the best.

Bless you all.

Since the twitching is often when she is going to sleep, Hanar, I would ask about a sleep study to rule out movement disorders such as Restless Leg Syndrome that can occur in and out of sleep, especially if the twitching is better when she moves around. These disorders can cause "weakness" because the person is not getting good quality sleep.

If migraines are unusual for her, I would consider home blood pressure monitoring and keep a food diary in case she has new trigger foods, which can happen. Lack of refreshing sleep can also worsen migraines.

Best,
Laurie

Update:
My wife has her neurologist appointment today. As it looks it is MS. Also not such a good diagnose, but MS is good treatable.

The Creatinine was low, because we drank a lot of tea if we play our videogames. If you drink too much this can happened.

She now will have a cerebrospinal fluid examination. She has inflammations in her brain on the MRT.

But I´m really thankful, that you answered me .

I donated for you a bit. It is not much, but I hope it helps a bit. :)

MS is definitely better than ALS. I am glad you have an answer.
Thank you for the support, with all best wishes for your wife.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back