Diagnosis
06/2012
Country
US
State
NY
City
Rochester
OK this is simply something annoying, not serious, but does anyone else have a constantly runny nose? And when I say runny - sometimes it can literally be drippy. I asked my neurologist about it and he said that it could be part of the Bulbar effects. I don't see anything about it online so I just thought I ask the knowledgeable and helpful folks here.

It can be very embarrassing if I'm sitting at dinner and don't have Kleenex nearby.....

Anne :-(

Yes, my husband started to have a constant drip as well, and other histamine reactions on his skin. I started to give him Reactin or I think it is call Zytec in the US, and it helped a bit but not enough. I suffer with environmental allergies, and tried a steroidal nasal spray on him, and it helped significantly. When he was last at the VA hospital, I asked for a prescription for him, and we have used it ever since with great success. When we spoke with the doctor who is managing his ALS here, she mentioned that the sympathetic and parasympathetic nerves run in the same horn as the motor nerves, so some get and increase in their histamine reactions. So I would suggest that you see your physician and ask for a steroidal nasal spray.

Paulette

I always have had seasonal allergies, but I have notice over the last couple of years I have developed a consent runny nose, and my eyes are always watering. Always have a pocket full of Kleenex; sometimes feel like the parent of a toddler again. Glad when the Grandkids are around, gives me an excuse. I also use the steroidal nasal spray and it helps a lot.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll ask my doctor about a steroidal nasal spray.

Anne

Another nasal spray possibility is nasal atrovent. My mom had ALS/FTD and horrendous constant nasal drip. The atrovent was prescribed but she was unable to cooperate with us giving it due to her dementia. It was supposed to be helpful in neurological rhinorrhea ( runny nose) but can't give personal testimony

Atrovent is also a steroidal spray.

Actually it is not. It is an anticholinergic.

You are absolutely correct, I was thinking Pulmicort which we use very often in conjunction with Atrovent. Not getting much sleep these days, and now you know why I have taken a leave from work.

I have a nose that often drips. When I researched it it could be because I use a mask all night with a NIV machine.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back