Diagnosis
06/2023
Country
US
State
CA
City
Azusa
i think i have gotten to a point where i am just sad/angry and crying all the time. i feel like i'm grieving my sister but she's still here. i hate seeing her progress the way she has and there's nothing i can do about it. i guess i just need someone to talk to or something....idk

Hello Sandy, I am so sorry to welcome you here. The place no one wants to be. Certainly you are welcome to post here and we will support you as best we can. There may be others in your community available to support you as well. I cry quite a bit myself. I see your sister was diagnosed in June. How is she doing? Adapting and keeping up with our PALS as their needs change is one of the great challenges of loving and caring for someone with ALS. Know that your sister loves you and that you will find the strength to support her through this horrible disease.

I fully understand and I am very sorry your need to come to this forum. I think we all have hit a point of grief that preceding the event of a death because this is a freight train we can see but have little options to prevent the ultimate collision. As the condition worsens (and it will), we suffer from various issues, such as self doubt or "did I do enough?", "could I have done better?" and the anger comes out that we were somehow sub-standard to the PALS needs. I STRONGLY recommend some type of Anger Management, and focus on loving care. Do the best you can but understand it may not be enough. Find a way to vent your anger, such as beating up some type of dummy such as may be found in a martial arts place or going out and finding a spot where you can scream, yell, and vent without bringing the police, fire and EMS!

Hello Mary thank you for reaching out. My sister is doing okay I guess. She started her physical therapy last week and it seems to have given her a boost. she is a very positive person even going though all this. I have been focusing a lot on my schooling so that has helped but she's always on the back of my mind. I was able to talk to my hubby about how I was feeling and I can say now that I'm slowly but surely getting better with my depression.

Yes I agree it's definitely been a roller coaster to say the least. Focusing on my career has helped a lot. I've been focusing on school a lot and focusing on the fact that with my career I will be able to help others. I always have my sister in the back of my mind and i see her often. She's a very positive person and that gives me some relief but like you said I wish I could do more. Thank you for reaching out to me. I really appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back