jojo84

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
UK
Hi all
So, background I'm 38 year old female. I have had drop foot on my left side since I was 17 and had nerve damage from.spinal fusion surgery. So I've lived with it for years
So naturally I've tripped a million times, but my right side has always been strong. However, over the past few weeks my right side has gotten much weaker, I'm tripping on my 'good foot' frequently and I've got twitching constantly in that leg. I also have a really stiff knee only when straightening it. I hadn't even heard of ALS until I googled for some.possible answers and I've gone down a rabbit hole. My twitching feels worse since and I do believe anxiety cpuld have made this worse.
But I recently read about a study that showed previous nerve damage can lead to ALS. This has worried me even more
I am waiting for an initial appointment with my GP but it's a 5 week waiting list to be seen so in the meantime would love anyone's thoughts, in particular about the study regarding previous nerve damage. Thanks in advance

Pretty sure the study you referred to was in sod1 mice who were going to get ALS anyway. They injured those mice and they couldn’t heal. Mice poorly translate to humans anyway and you don’t mention having sod1 or a family history. And the mice started their als where the injury was not elsewhere.

Stop googling wait to see your doctor and do some gentle stretches. This could be anything including another spine issue

I appreciate your reply thank you. There is no family history.
With my existing foot drop it's been worrying having my other side get weaker. I will of course await my GP appointment and see what they say

Of course you are worried about a problem in your “ good” leg. It threatens your independence. I cried buckets when my weakness affected my second leg. But this could be many things and is likely fixable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back