Dental work as ALS patient - any advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ynara

Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
01/2023
Country
US
State
TN
City
Memphis
Hi all, I am in need of dental work and am running into roadblocks in finding a place that could work on me without me transferring into the dental chair. (I have talked with one place that indicated they accommodate handicapped but they said their rooms are small and cannot have a wheelchair in the room as there is no room, so even if I could transfer, they can't have my wheelchair in there). Then there is the whole issue of swallowing and not aspirating. I have very sensitive teeth and have several crowns, root canals, and teeth on the verge of needing them. Have any of you navigated this and do you have any suggestions? Any help or advice is welcome.

you need to find a dentist that will work with you first of course. Have you asked at local support groups or your alsa or support organization? The mda might be another resource. Mda kids have some of our issues so the dentists they use would be appropriate as long as they work with adults. Special needs organizations in general might be a resource. You need a good dentist but also one with flexibility and compassion

Search for dental care handout on the forum search function. Written by a member here. Links are not posting just now so I can’t send you to it

Here is a handout. Each PALS should modify it to their particular needs.

Attachments

• Dental Care for a Person with ALS.pdf
    41.5 KB · Views: 96
Thank you for the link and all of the suggestions/information. I have been trying to locate via search in the area and found the one dentist location that indicated they welcome handicapped individuals (who can't take wheelchair patients). I asked the care coordinator at the ALS clinic but she had no info or suggestions as her PALS was a veteran and they took care of his dental needs. I will email the interim person at our local ALS group also. Thank you Nikki and Kim. I did search the forums for dental issues but came up empty. I probably didn't put the proper key words in.

You know your limitations so enlist someone to call around to see if you can be accommodated. I had two crowns done in 2018. I don't think I could do it now.

Usually academic medical centers have "advanced dentistry" clinics and you can stay in your chair. They are often not well-publicized bc they fear thundering hordes. According to this Commercial Appeal article, UTHSC in Memphis recently opened a new special needs dental clinic accessible for wheelchairs. But it's not listed on the web site -- not a shock.

Beware of private practices that say they practice "special dentistry." Some are Medicaid mills and will be overly aggressive.

Hi guys. Here is another dental handout made by the motor neuron disease association (I think they are in the UK). My dentist liked it.

Attachments

• MND-dentist-guide.pdf
    378.2 KB · Views: 88
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back