Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
TN
Hi I am a 21 year old male possibly concerned about having ALS. It all started around two months ago when I was sick when an unknown illness and I tested negative for everything? Around the same time I started to have weakness in my left hand. And also feel fatigue in both legs. I have also began to have cramps in both thighs.I have no known family history of ALS. I know that it is unlikely that I have ALS but I’m still concerned.

Hi there-

Please make sure to read the Read Before Posting thread. It contains some advice and answers many of the questions that bring people here. You don't mention seeing a doctor- this is what we recommend you start with as they can provide direct feedback during a clinical exam, as well answer any questions that you may have.

While you may have tested negative for Covid, that doesn't mean you haven't had it. It can cause some issues that dwell long after initial infection. Please read the below link for studies and information about just how much it can affect people.
Covid19 and Neurological Symptoms

General fatigue and what sounds like perceived (not clinical) weakness can mean so many different things. You report none of the hallmark symptoms of ALS, as you will read in the link provided.

Take care

Hi I did visit the doctor but they said they were unsure if they were connected. I was just concerned because I know hand weakness and cramps can be a symptom of ALS.

No true weakness on exam means no clinical weakness as Shiftkicker said. Perceived weakness which is what you have and cramps can be a thousand things including post viral syndrome ( doesn’t even have to be covid)
The hallmark of ALS is clinical weakness ( the kind detected by a doctor examining you)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back