Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
CA
City
LA
Thank you for taking the time to read and reply to me , I really appreciate it .

Firstly , I know I’m overly paranoid about ALS as my neighbor growing up had it and another friend’s dad has just been diagnosed .

My question is about balance . I recently went to see a neurologist about an arm issue ( which turned out to be tennis elbow ) as I was worried about the possibility of ALS . He did all the strength and reflex checks on my arms , did a reflex test on my legs and asked me to raise my toes ..all of which were good . He then said “Are you having any balance issues “ to which I replied no .

Since then , I’ve been noticing a few things . I teach and a few times I’ve found myself a bit off balance when walking / turning and today I had a feeling I was going to fall back , but corrected myself ( it has been very hot today ). I guess my question is , do that balance issues from ALS stem from weak muscles ? I’m able to do all the heel to toe / tip toe / heel tests and haven’t noticed any foot drop . I think I’ve just become hyper aware of how I walk / any slight balance thing because he bought it up, but would appreciate any imput .

Thank you

Please read this if you have not already done so: Important - READ BEFORE POSTING! Answers to common concerns about possible symptoms!

You’re worried about ALS so you’re being very vigilant about every symptom in your own body and wondering if it relates to ALS.
If you recently had a normal neurological exam by a neurologist, then you don’t have to be concerned about ALS. You might not have even worried about your balance if the neurologist hadn’t asked the question (that question is part of their standard list they ask every patient).

Many things can affect balance, and not all of them are neurological. For example, if you are slightly dehydrated, if your vision is off, if your musculoskeletal system isn’t perfectly symmetrical (most people’s aren’t), then your balance may be affected. Even the type of shoes you wear can affect your stance and sense of balance.

So if you’re worried, see your primary care doctor or a physical therapist. But ALS should not be on your current list of concerns.

Thank you for your reply . I was just concerned as he didn’t test my balance at the exam , just asked me to lift my toes . I think you are right , I’m just over-analyzing every thing , things that most people would just ignore .

Thanks for the reassurance .

Lifting your toes is sufficient for a neuro exam. That's great that you do not have ALS. All the best to you and take good care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back